Home heating (I made a bet with DH....)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I dry clothes on a rack indoors in winter! It helps. We had an in-duct whole-house humidifier, but we had a power outage last year so the plenum got wicked hot (electric blower on wood furnace) and damaged the humidifier. :/

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
If it was me I'd optimise the wood furnace and use that only. I actually plan to use only the small wood burner in my house for heat this coming winter. If I get it going in the mornings the entire house should be toasty by late afternoon/evening.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have a pellet insert that we installed in the big old fireplace in the family room. It is on a thermostat and heats most of our big old farmhouse just fine. We have the furnace thermostat moved to the hallway by the bathroom. The way the house was built, the bathroom is around a 90 degree bend and down the hall. The kitchen is an addition, through a doorway off that hall. No way to get radiant heat from the stove to that area, so the furnace gets to heat that part of the house. DH likes a warm bathroom in the morning for his shower. lol.

Latest posts