Home heating the old fashioned (free) way!

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks so much for trying the experiment and posting your results! I'm so glad to hear it worked out as well as it did. I'm the one that originally posted this topic and I'm never on here anymore but I just happened to check out the site this morning and there was your post on something I brought up long ago. Crazy coincidence! Anyway, the article I posted in the original post goes on to say that the ash from the manure logs is really incredible fertilizer, even better than the manure itself, so now you have to move onto phase 2, the fertilizer test! ;) Anyway, I've got to get back to work, but I'm glad to know that something I posted helped someone with their SS goals.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I know what I am going to do all day tomorrow!! Our three fat horses have been very busy this winter creating a big "manure pile". I was just going to compost it for the garden, but now, I'm going to burn it!!! :D

Cybercat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
kstaven said:
Thought I would update on this thread. We bought what is called a Kyoto Brick maker. It is normally used for making bricks out of shredded newspaper for burning in stoves. It works great! surprising how fast you can turn out bricks with the little machine and its CHEAP!!!
Where did you get your brick maker, kstaven?

Also I was thinking that the poultry shavings might not be good to bring into the house if you have some little hitchhikers like poultry mites....

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
kstaven said:
Thought I would update on this thread. We bought what is called a Kyoto Brick maker. It is normally used for making bricks out of shredded newspaper for burning in stoves. It works great! surprising how fast you can turn out bricks with the little machine and its CHEAP!!!

Once the bricks are dry there is no smell and they do burn longer then wood. This just solved our manure management problem with something that could save us a ton on heating.
That is so cool! (or hot :p) I think it is going to take some serious out-of-the-box thinking like this to tackle our resource and greenhouse gas issues.

kstaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Cybercat said:
kstaven said:
Where did you get your brick maker, kstaven?

Also I was thinking that the poultry shavings might not be good to bring into the house if you have some little hitchhikers like poultry mites....
If you want a nifty hand operated job google KYOTO BRICKMAKER. There are a number of places that offer them. Originally designed for making compressed/shredded paper bricks. It is amazing how many bricks you can make in an hour with one. There are a number of horse operations in europe that use these ones for making manure bricks.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, you must have bought the last one because now it says they are no longer available.

This is a fantastic idea. I'm guessing it probably won't work for dogs and cats. :( Guess that's just another reason for me to convince dh to get goats. :celebrate

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have access to LOTS of paper. May as well put it to good use.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
This is a great thread! We'll have to try it next year. Don't think we'll be doing any more burning in the fireplace. We usually have enough wood to last us all winter. This winter we didn't use the stove or the fireplace. We have a purple martin nesting in the chimney and a timing/money conflict about cleaning it out. So the nest stayed and we turned on the gas heater this winter a couple of times when multiple sweaters just didn't cut it. LOL
Now we're back to trying to time the chimney cleaning with "no chicks in the nest".