home made butter...yum!

debbie_95959

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Yummm.....w
ill you please share how you made the butter? Thanks!

taoist

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Homemade butter is fantastic! Last week, I went a step further and made cultured butter with my kefir grains and the cream....OMG! I will probably never eat regular butter again!

gram of 5

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
taoist said:
Homemade butter is fantastic! Last week, I went a step further and made cultured butter with my kefir grains and the cream....OMG! I will probably never eat regular butter again!
How do you make butter with kefir grains and cream? I just got my grains and would love to learn how to do it? Please?

Trucker Bob

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We bartered a cow once for a years supply of butter when growing up. The quality of the feed was off, so the butter tasted a bit odd... But then again, my parents were purists being ex dairy farmers ;)

peteyfoozer

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
cultured butter is even better! I put a bit of cultured buttermilk in a jar of heavy cream and let it sit out for a couple of days to thicken. I get a better yield on my butter, the resulting buttermilk is awesome and the butter has more depth of flavor. I have a Jersey, so I use a 3 gallon electric churn, that way I only have to make it once a week. Fresh butter is the bomb!!!
You can keep your own cultures going btw...start with store bought cultured buttermilk...sterilize a jar, put some milk in and place a lid on it, put it in water up to the level of the milk and simmer for 30 min. Once it cools (several hours or overnight) add a few TBL of buttermilk, seal it and set it out for a day. Refrigerate it for up to a month, then renew the same way, and use the original for your daily culture needs. It keeps the cultures going indefinitely for clabber, buttermilk and pretty much yogurt.
Here are a few things you can do with it!
http://forpeteysake.blogspot.com/2012/01/creme-de-le-creme.html

:weee

smackiesmommy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
now it is honey butter ya'll. Added a little veggie oil and now it spreads like heaven...my husband is going to love this stuff

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
smackiesmommy said:
now it is honey butter ya'll. Added a little veggie oil and now it spreads like heaven...my husband is going to love this stuff
You do know that you don't have to refrigerate real butter, right? I have a butter bell that always stays on the counter. That solves the spread-ability issue. Of course if it is too warm or too cold the butter won't stay in the bell, which creates an issue, LOL I would think even with honey in it there wouldn't be a need to keep it chilled.

LilacSpring

Power Conserver
Reaction score
smackiesmommy said:
I made home made butter yesterday for the very first time and now i will never EVER go back to store bought butter again. Has anyone else done the same or found something that once they have made they can never go back?
Hi! Iam new here, How do you make homemade butter:hu, I would love to try your recipe. Please!!!:bow

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There are different ways to churn it. I use my food processor. Look on you-tube for step-by-step videos. You will be amazed at the simplicity of it!

peteyfoozer

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You can shake your heavy cream in a jar, use a stand mixer, or food processor..I have a Jersey cow so I have an electric churn as I do 2 gallons at a time. Make sure to rinse all the buttermilk out of it or it will go sour quickly. Use COLD water when you rinse it, of course! :p