home made butter...yum!

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
:yuckyuck Agreed!

I can't wait until my little girl starts producing the moo juice - I don't want to try making butter until it's from her.

Bread is one of the things you referred to SM - I started making it, tweaking it to my families taste, now they refuse to eat store bought! :rolleyes:
Well I bake but there are still many breads that I buy from a professional, things like jewish style rye, English toasting bread and even Bolillos. I like my bread! but a little change never hurts on something I eat every day. And beleive it or not other people can bake better than I can on some items.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Trucker Bob said:
We bartered a cow once for a years supply of butter when growing up. The quality of the feed was off, so the butter tasted a bit odd... But then again, my parents were purists being ex dairy farmers ;)
yep wild onions in the pasture makes a nice butter but I don't like the milk!

tdbarani

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I recently made home made butter with the women in my family for our "pioneer women" day. One of them had an antique churn with a paddle and we took turns churning until it turned into butter. Turned out really good! Of course it's even better with some honey or strawberries added in on freshly baked rolls! Yum!

Tammy

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I have to try this out with our kitchenaid because if 1 qt of heavy cream that we can get from the farm yields at least 1 lb of butter, plus the buttermilk then we come out ahead in cost. The only cost difference would be time... and anything over 1 lb of butter would just be more ahead that we would be!
I'll have the cream next wednesday.... now I can't wait!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh, snap! Has anyone used a stick blender to make butter?! I have only ever made it by shaking a jar, and that requires way too much energy and time, even with the kids playing with it. If a food processer works, I'm sure a stick blender would work just as well (if not better). I'm going to have to keep an eye out for cream now! I was paying about $3.50/lb for amish butter (regular CHEAP butter is $3/lb). I wonder what the cost difference would be between cream to make butter and just buying the butter...

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bettacreek, is the Amish butter you buy from raw unpasturized milk? If it is, I think $3.50 per lb sounds very good!

hqueen13

Reaction score
$3.50/lb is a good price, I pay $11.00/lb for my completely raw butter!

Can someone give me an indication of the length of time it would take in a stand mixer? Also, which attachment for the kitchen aid is best to use? The whisk attachment or the regular blending beater?

Can't wait to get the cream next Wednesday!!

hqueen13

Reaction score
Alright, gonna try this butter makin' thing tonight.... so excited!

Oh, and for those that want a little more info, I found this website with instructions: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Butter-by-Whipping I thought it was helpful!

I do have another question though - can you freeze the resulting buttermilk? I know that it would be really good to use in some recipes, but I know I will also only have that need rarely.

Any other simple uses for buttermilk??? (We don't cook a WHOLE lot, we're pretty slim on that, but I know sour milk makes a good fertilizer, so I wasn't sure if there was some other use for it...)

hqueen13

Reaction score
Yay! :weee That went well! The butter actually happened FAST. A LOT faster than I expected. I think we had butter in about 2 minutes in our kitchenaid. The rinsing, that took a wee bit longer! Its ok though because I think we got WAY more than 1 lb of butter (going to buy a kitchen scale this weekend to know for sure), which means that there is a significant savings for us to purchase the cream and take the half hour to make butter. I am sure it will be a half hour next time we do it since there was a bit of learning curve this go around!

Yay that was super cool!