home made dehydrator?

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No need to be envious. I still have a bushel and a half of apples to process. I think I'm going to try some apple butter.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
keljonma said:
Well, we won't talk about the apples - I still have a peck left too...... :lol:
:gig I just did a bunch in the crock pot today - with brown sugar and apple pie spice - I need to seal it with the vacuum thingie and freeze it - perhaps for thanksgiving ... hmmm

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
DH just brought me home a large box so I can try and make the homemade dehydrator that is in the first link!!:cool: I want to try to make some fruit leather out of the homemade applesauce I made and canned up!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
There is a small dehydrator building that I want to copy from Quiet Valley Living Historical farm in Stroudsburg, PA.
It has drying shelves lined with cheesecloth and I think a tiny woodstove to help the drying in their rainy climate. I want to convert mine to be also solar with a black roof and small fan. Mine will be 4w x4l x 5h.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
sylvie said:
There is a small dehydrator building that I want to copy from Quiet Valley Living Historical farm in Stroudsburg, PA.
It has drying shelves lined with cheesecloth and I think a tiny woodstove to help the drying in their rainy climate. I want to convert mine to be also solar with a black roof and small fan. Mine will be 4w x4l x 5h.
Do you have a link?

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
sylvie said:
Do you have a link?
Their website:
http://www.quietvalley.org/

I am searching for a photo~which might take a while but I will post it as soon as I find it.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Thanks for the link...that place is really neat!!
I couldn't find the dehydrator on their website. I hope you can find it. I would really like to see it but, if you don't that is ok.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
Thanks for the link...that place is really neat!!
I couldn't find the dehydrator on their website. I hope you can find it. I would really like to see it but, if you don't that is ok.
This is the only pic I could find so far. It is of the interior of the dry house. from the cover of a 1972 Organic Gardening which has an article about it. It seems fairly easy to figure out.
515_dryhouse.jpg

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
DH is helping put together a homemade dehydrator right now!!! I am going to try some applesauce and turn it into fruit leather. I am itching to do some onions in it because we have a whole bag of onions that were given to us that we probably will not use up but, DH thinks it will make the house smell to much. We would actually use the onion flakes though!