home made gun powder out of pigeon poo?

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
okay I can not imagine this and not that I would ever want to try it but I just hear that in early times that would raise pigeons and collect their poo to make gun powder out of. Is that even possible?

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
If it does work that would be awesome. I have 18-20 pigeons..

I can store it in the powder horn that Tallman is making me!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Death by pigeon poo. What a way to go.:lol:

Edited to copy and paste what I found after I posted and did a little research.

Pigeon poop - foul or fantastic?
Although pigeon poo is seen as a major problem for property owners in the 21st Century, it was considered to be an invaluable resource in the 16th, 17th and 18th century in Europe. Pigeon poop was a highly prized fertilizer and considered to be far more potent than farmyard manure. So prized in fact that armed guards were stationed at the entrances to dovecotes (pigeon houses) to stop thieves stealing it! Not only this, but in England in the 16th century pigeon poop was the only known source of saltpetre, an essential ingredient of gunpowder and was considered a highly valued commodity as a result.

(The above was copied and pasted from the Staten Island Notebook and was sent to them by a Ms. Tierno. )

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
Never know when that information might come in handy. Like maybe when the s#%@ hits the fan?
:yuckyuck

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

I thin we may have just found a new meaning to the term. But in all seriousness I thought of that too when I first heard it. Even made the comment to hubby that when it all goes bad we need to get more pigeons. :/

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
nightshade said:
okay I can not imagine this and not that I would ever want to try it but I just hear that in early times that would raise pigeons and collect their poo to make gun powder out of. Is that even possible?
I believe what you are talking about is actually making one of the components for gunpowder (black powder), potassium nitrate.

Basically what you can do is mix the pigeon poop, along with some urine and water, in a large container. Mix it well, cover it, and let sit for several months. Then using a filter screen, you run the liquid that drains off through ashes into shallow wooden trays lined with plastic or possibly waxed paper. Let the trays sit in the sunf or evaporation. When the water evaporates, potassium nitrate crystals (saltpeter) will form in the bottom of the trays. The potassium nitrate is the oxidizer part of the gunpowder ingredients.

Don't ask how I know this. :rolleyes:

eggs4sale

Lush who can't use a cheese grater
Reaction score
If pigeon poop is the ingredient for gunpowder, wouldn't skyscrapers and mall awnings be a boon for reloaders?