Home Made Hair Detangler

cuallaidh

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My daughter (8yrs old) has hair down to her waist, it is thick hair and tangles easily, in fact we insist she braid it before bead every night. It is still difficult to brush in the morning so we started using detangler in her hair every morning, but it always seemed that the detangler didn't do much more than wet her hair. After some searching I found the perfect recipe for detangler that works 1000% better than any commercially available detangler on the market, although I don't measure I'll relay it roughly to you all now:

Take a spray bottle and fill 1/10th to 1/5th with conditioner (depending on how strong you want it) then add warm water and shake well.

That's it. I add a couple drops of tea tree oil since she is a school aged children and the tea tree oil keeps the lice away, but this is optional. It is basically a leave in conditioner it keeps her hair soft and tangle free. When she was much younger this spray made hair brushing time much less tearful.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Hey!!!!! Welcome from someone a bit over an hour away from you!!!!

When I read the title of this thread, I was gonna respond by saying conditioner and water mixed, but you already figured it out. I personally love infusium, but I guess I need to check them out to see if they are reputable. and braiding before bedtime is pretty much mandatory if she wants to keep the long locks.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
First of all, :welcome

Second, this interests me because my hair is getting pretty long & it tangles easily, even in a pony tail. Do you just spray the ends & comb it thru? Then just let it dry & it stays de-tangled?

:caf

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I can't speak for Cuallaidh, but for my dd and me, yes, just spray it on when you need to have the detangling action. If you are going to do it as a spray, make sure it is not too heavy on the conditioner (as in lots more water than conditioner), b/c if it has a lot of conditioner in it, it will be heavy on the hair. But on the bright side, if it is too heavy, you just need to rinse it out with warm water. She posted measurements, I alwasys winged it.

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Funny you would say that--aren't you close to bald? :lol:
Nah, still get comments on how thick my hair is. However I do keep it short. Only because long hair is such a pain. It gets tangled and it's hard to brush through. Takes forever to rinse shampoo out and has to be conditioned. I like to be able to brush it in the morning and not touch it again.

My hair is gray though. :)

cuallaidh

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
I can't speak for Cuallaidh, but for my dd and me, yes, just spray it on when you need to have the detangling action. If you are going to do it as a spray, make sure it is not too heavy on the conditioner (as in lots more water than conditioner), b/c if it has a lot of conditioner in it, it will be heavy on the hair. But on the bright side, if it is too heavy, you just need to rinse it out with warm water. She posted measurements, I alwasys winged it.
She is a he ;)... I am a man not a woman... but yes that's exactly it is leave in conditioner basically. You spray some on and brush it though and then let it dry. Keeps her hair healthy, strong, and frizz free.

I do basically wing it myself as well, I basically estimated the measurements based on my experiments, but some conditioners are heavier than others so you need to experiment to find what works best.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Opps, sorrry :D The majority of forum member here are female, so , well, you know....

Are you right in London? I lived there many moons ago, near Highbury Ave.