home made instant cocoa?

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've got the cocoa, powdered milk and sugar, just can't remember the amounts of each to use.
I had seen this on a post awhile back, but can't remember where.

It's terrible to get old and loose your memory as well as your mind. :barnie

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I looked it up and found this (for a mix):
1/2 cup cocoa
3/4 cup sugar
3 cup powdered milk
dash of salt

What I used to do was mix about a tablespoon (?) of cocoa -- the recipe I used was on the side of the cocoa container -- with some sugar and some cinnamon and then I would pour some milk into it and stir that up really good, then pour boiling water over the top. I personally think that mixing the cocoa mix with milk first makes a HUGE difference, as compared with putting the water in and then adding milk. :hu

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Someone had a recipe (for marshmallows) that sounded good too . . . I can't remember who it was. Was it HiDelight from TEG? Maybe we should ask her!

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DM-thanks, the kids are always wanting hot cocoa from the store and this way I can have it all mixed and ready (make ahead mix) and just add hot water-they won't know the difference! Yikes, almost forgot...1 cup of hot water to 1 tablespoon mix???

BBH-I really don't have a clue-other than eggs (whites?) and sugar-but I don't know if there is anything else that goes in or the procedure. Good luck!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
That wasn't me, but a few years I made all kinds of homemade marshmallows for Christmas. Plain, lemon, chocolate mint...and others I can't remember. They were a huge hit.

This is the recipe I think I used.

http://homecooking.about.com/od/candyrecipes/r/blcandy4.htm

but it might have been this one. For some reason, it sounds easier.

http://homecooking.about.com/od/dessertrecipes/r/bldes164.htm

big brown horse said:
:drool Now someone tell me how to make marshmallows!!
Thanks survival chef! ;) That looks like fun! I think my daughter and I will definitely try this at home!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Good ! glad I could help. My mom really liked the toasted coconut ones, as I recall.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oops, my bad on the ingredients.

Thanks Ldychef2k for the recipes, now I gotta try it. :drool
I wasn't expecting soooo many great ideas to try when I signed up for this forum, my "to do" list grows longer every day.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Here's the one I have been making for years:

Hot Cocoa Mix
1 cup powdered nondairy creamer
cup sugar
cup cocoa
1/3 cup milk powder
tsp cinnamon

Combine ingredients in blender. Process until well blended. Serve 1 heaping spoonful with cup of warm milk.

Even easier (and more whole food) is mixing 1 spoonful of honey with 1 spoonful of pure cocoa powder until well blended in the bottom of a mug. Fill mug with milk, microwave or heat until warm, then stir well.