Home made kitty litter

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My moms cat used to play fetch too when I still lived at home, then when we got the dog and the dog started playing fetch too, she quit and started bringing home "presents"

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
To train a cat to go out doors for bussiness you move the kitty litter closer and closer to the door until it is OUTSIDE the door and then they will ask to go out to use it. Then move it closer and closer to where you want them to go and dump it there. They get the hint...

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ohhhh that sounds like it might work. I just remembering trying to train a cat to sit once, it just looked at me like I was dumb. I was picturing like trying to pick the cat up while its doing its business and rushing it outside or something..

But that makes a lot more sense MoralCabin! :)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
If you have a little-used second bathroom you might even consider trying to train the cat to use the toilet. Not all are trainable, but some are. If you google you'll find schemes for working on it.

I knew a VERY well toilet-trained barn cat once - she was quite accurate and tidy, and sometimes even flushed - but she was (believe it or not!) self-trained, and I've never tried to train any of mine due to lack of spare toilet. If I had one, though, I'd probably try it.

Good luck,

Pat

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lol pat!! thats such an awesome idea :cool: kind of reminds me of that movie meet the fockers or something

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
We ran out and DH didn't tell me so he used some pine shavings. Worked pretty well in a pinch. I'm still buying the scoopable stuff. With two indoor cats it's the most convenient way to keep things smelling less catty without being too expensive. I have a friend who uses "The World's Best Cat Litter" but it's way out of my price range!
As for the man throwing the boxes in the compost, I thought you weren't supposed to put animal feces in compost? Especially if you're going to use it on a veggie garden.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I cat sat (ha ha that sounds funny) for some people who used the dirt in a box method. I found it to be absolutely disgusting. Think mud made out of cat pee.

My DH got it into his head that he was going to train our cat to use the toilet. Aahhh, laughing to think back on it. It was not successful. The cat ended up doing a desperation poop in a clean basket of laundry. It's funny now five years later.

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
poppycat said:
I cat sat (ha ha that sounds funny) for some people who used the dirt in a box method. I found it to be absolutely disgusting. Think mud made out of cat pee.
I think I'll skip the dirt :lol:

Newspaper sounds like it would work, but my siamese would interpret that to mean he could pee on any newspaper anywhere in the house, I know how his devilish mind works (what little of it there is). He taught himself a variation of toilet training, he uses the bathroom tub and pees into the drain hole. I have to rinse, but there could be worse places in the house.

We spent a small fortune fencing a backyard to keep the cats in for their own protection. Also the siamese, Puddles, is so mentally challenged that if he gets out he wanders like an alzheimers patient. We have to keep every animal locked in at night. Huge great horned owls, fox, coyote, bobcat..... So a catbox at night is necessary.

Puddles was so named because if there is water, he will play in it, muddy or clean. Oh, and he has no dignity:

Misc148.jpg

SproutGirl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We tried using pine shavings in place of litter once. We put it in a litter box next to one with cat litter in it and left it there for about a week. The cats wouldn't even sniff it. Of course, they'll go in the straw in the barn where the chickens live. Stinkin' cats!

tfpets

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Shredded paper does work well in a pinch, the smaller the better. A large bag also makes a great indoor play toy for three kittens, apparently keeps them occupied all day while you're at work, until they get it spread out across the house...then, well, it's just a huge mess after the free for all??? They seem quite proud of their handy work though! Quite artistic, hanging from chairs, and couches, and tables, and such? Cats can be sooo creative!
As to owning cats. I have never owned a cat. I have never met a cat owner. Cats own people, it is purely their choice, not ours. My opinion. This is Connie (Short for Convict) owning the boys last year.

Tina/tfpets

JPCSMALL.jpg