Home made Smoker

()relics

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've got all that stuff around here. I bought a trash can this fall to scald my turkeys, the hot plate is in the barn, just in case...well just in case...And I think you could use a shallow cast iron pan for a chip box(?)....I'll bet the hot plate uses ALOT of electric running for 4 hours...Could you use charcoal instead or would that get too hot? .....Many questions that need answers; So as soon as the snow stops, and that may be spring, I'm off to the barn to start the assembly then the trials...Thanks for the very informational link

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Be sure to update us, if you end up making this. It would be fun to see how well it works!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
The real secret to any good smoker, is the ability to maintain temperature. The more mass you have to your smoker, the easier it is to hold your target temp and the LESS fuel you will need over a long cook time. The trash can smoker could be made a LOT more efficient by simply wrapping some fire proof insulation around it to hold in the heat.

There has been a lot of good food cooked in a trash can! :thumbsup

()relics

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yep that one looks better...No garbage can...Now I just need a clay pot and cover....Why can't I think of these "inventions"? ....Funny thing about that video, It lasted 10 minutes and change....On Broadcast TV it would have lasted for 30 minutes...And thats why Don't Watch TV......It teaches us to take 30 minutes to do something that really only takes 10...