Home-made Vanilla Extract recipe

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
My last bottle is marked Sept 2005!!! I stopped baking much at all (sweets) a while ago, but with all the goat's milk, I think I will be using vanilla a lot again in my hot chocolate, eggnog, and yogurt, so gearing up again!

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I like a little squirt of vanilla in my oatmeal in the morning.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I make a bread recipe that calls for 2 tsp vanilla for each 2 loaf batch.

Pancakes, french toast, and waffle batter all are better with vanilla, imo. :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oooooo! More vanilla ideas, please, that are not desserts!!!! Love the breakfast ideas, I never used vanilla in any of those. Mmmmmm!!!! :drool

candyd

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
farmerlor said:
I like a little squirt of vanilla in my oatmeal in the morning.
That sounds like a great idea! I have never thought of this :thumbsup

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Along the same lines - homemade extracts; I talked about these in my journal, so thought I would cross-post here.

Orange Extract
1 750 ml bottle vodka
Peels from 2 naval oranges (no white pith)

Peel navel oranges with a vegetable peeler or sharp knife. No white pith. Slice them to fit inside the vodka bottle.

Put them in the vodka and let sit at least 3 to 4 weeks minimum before using. Longer is better.

Do not mix with other citrus peels - make them separate extracts.

Lemon Extract
1 750 ml bottle vodka
Peels from 2 lemons (no white pith)

Peel lemons with a vegetable peeler or sharp knife. No white pith. Slice them to fit inside the vodka bottle.

Put them in the vodka and let sit at least 3 to 4 weeks minimum before using. Longer is better.

Do not mix with other citrus peels - make them separate extracts.

Mint Extract
1 750 ml bottle vodka
1 pound fresh mint (peppermint, spearmint, chocolate mint)

Harvest mint, wash leaves well and crush/bruise them.

Put them in the vodka or a quart-sized canning jar of vodka. Let sit at least 3 to 4 weeks minimum before using. Using a piece of well-washed, new cheese cloth, strain the leaves from the infusion after three to four weeks. Do not reuse the leaves.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am going to have to try the orange and lemon for sure. I have been using the same home made vanilla recipe for years. My current bottles beans(I use 15-20 per wine size bottle) are 7 years old and still great, I just keep adding Absolut when necessary. I agree cheap vodka is nasty, use mid grade or better for best results. I add vanilla to a lot of baked goods, french toast for sure, and even to our "paris pancakes" as we call them which are basically pancakes with cinnamon and vanilla added.
*forgot to mention I age a new bottle for at least 4-6 months shaking occasionally, in a dark spot before using)