Homelite weed whacker question

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nifty said:
40 - 50 hours a YEAR!?!?!? :ep :th

I don't know that I'll have done that much weed whacking in my entire life!
Realize that I probably use it usually for 30 minutes each time I start it up - over a six or seven month period when we work outdoors a lot here, if I do a session with it every three days or so... that puts the use to up in the vicinity of 35 hours. And I know that sometimes I run the machine 50-75 minutes in a single session, which requires re-fuelling partway through.

Nifty said:
Joel, what kind of head do you have on your trimmer? Have you used string and blades in your trimmer? I have 3 - 4 types of attachments I can use and I've found I really like the durability of the blades for brush, but have to use string for going around trees, rocks, poles, etc.
Yeah, I use a brush-cutting blade with it sometimes. Very necessary. More of the time, I'm using "string" that is .095 diameter, and that is square-profile plastic over wire. The wire gets wound into a quick-loading head that you give a whole series of twists. The twisting winds the wire onto spool inside the head.

Flytyer24

Power Conserver
Reaction score
A couple of things with any of these small motors...

1. I like marine grade sta-bil... Since the intro of ethanol these engines have taken a hit.

2. Every year dispose of all gas that has set for more than a month. Just dump it in you truck a little mix won't hurt it. On a fullish tank so it dilutes.

3. Clean that air filter after ever couple of uses.

4. Most of these have a fuel filter that floats inside the tank. Change this and the spark plug when you have troubles.

All the other advice is good too. Just my quick tips.

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The mechanic at our landscaping shop told us to use gas without ethanol. Something about the enthanol turns the fuel lines to gunk inside.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Great advice guys, I definitely need to do all those things, especially since my gas has been sitting around and I also don't know if I've put sta-bil in recent batches of gas in containers.