Homemade Almond Milk, Coconut Milk, etc

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Marianne wrote

Our visiting son drove two hours to go to an Indian market. I was shocked when I saw how little he paid for spices.
Yes, incredible, isn't it? Only a dollar or two, in many cases, for a pound or so. If kept cool, dry, and dark these spices will last for years. I know the experts say they should be replaced every year (or more often!) but I tend to judge by the smell rather than what someone else has told me. If it smells as it should I keep it. If its not quite as strong I use a little more. If it doesn't smell like much of anything I give it to the compost worms (I can't remember when I last did that). I do like to buy my spices in their whole state - whole cloves, rather than ground for example - as they stay nice much longer that way. And I remove them from the plastic bags they come in, and transfer them to glass jars with tight lids.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Marianne wrote

Our visiting son drove two hours to go to an Indian market. I was shocked when I saw how little he paid for spices.
Yes, incredible, isn't it? Only a dollar or two, in many cases, for a pound or so. If kept cool, dry, and dark these spices will last for years. I know the experts say they should be replaced every year (or more often!) but I tend to judge by the smell rather than what someone else has told me. If it smells as it should I keep it. If its not quite as strong I use a little more. If it doesn't smell like much of anything I give it to the compost worms (I can't remember when I last did that). I do like to buy my spices in their whole state - whole cloves, rather than ground for example - as they stay nice much longer that way. And I remove them from the plastic bags they come in, and transfer them to glass jars with tight lids.
Yes! Had the same experience last year.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Marianne wrote

I have been going to the spices of India store in the big town near me too. buy the whole and grind them when I need it. I was shocked how inexpensive it was. I got 4 of the nicest whole nutmegs for a buck. Whole Cumin (which I have a couple plants) which I toast and then grind- the flavor is beyond great.. I'm going to grow a patch and hope for the best- it needs a bit longer season then I have normally.. The only thing they didn't have was true cinnamon.