Homemade Automatic Dishwashing Detergent?

mydakota

Power Conserver
Reaction score
After reading the thread about the homemade laundry soap, I made some to try this week. It was easy and I am very happy with the results. Definitely making that again. Now I was just wondering if there is a recipe for automatic dishwashing soap/detergent? I go through a lot of that with a family of 4 and would sure like to save on it.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Yes! what do you use? I make my own and use 50/50 dry borax and dry baking soda. Seems to work great and is cheap, but I'd be willing to try other stuff.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I didn't have good luck with the homemade recipes. I ended up with etched glassware using the borax/washing soda recipe.
Cloudy glassware was a problem, too, no matter how little I used. I tried a blend of 1/3 each of purchased stuff, borax and washing soda, but the etching continued. Now I'm guessing it was the washing soda, but at the time I wasn't sure and it was too late.

Cutting cheap purchased stuff with baking soda did okay, but didn't clean the dishes completely, and I even rinse before putting them in the dishwasher.

I finally threw in the towel and went back to Cascade. But mostly I wash 'em by hand.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Yes! what do you use? I make my own and use 50/50 dry borax and dry baking soda. Seems to work great and is cheap, but I'd be willing to try other stuff.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yep! I don't mess w/ the heated dry cycle either. I have hard water, so I use vinegar in the rinse aid dispenser. Then I set the timer to remember to go open the door when the dry cycle starts.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Do you have any problems with cloudy glasses? Mine are so etched now, it probably wouldn't make it any worse....

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marianne said:
savingdogs said:
Do you have any problems with cloudy glasses? Mine are so etched now, it probably wouldn't make it any worse....

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Marianne said:
I didn't have good luck with the homemade recipes. I ended up with etched glassware using the borax/washing soda recipe.
Cloudy glassware was a problem, too, no matter how little I used. I tried a blend of 1/3 each of purchased stuff, borax and washing soda, but the etching continued. Now I'm guessing it was the washing soda, but at the time I wasn't sure and it was too late.

Cutting cheap purchased stuff with baking soda did okay, but didn't clean the dishes completely, and I even rinse before putting them in the dishwasher.

I finally threw in the towel and went back to Cascade. But mostly I wash 'em by hand.
You have to add Citric Acid to prevent the buildup and cloudiness.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Marianne said:

You have to add Citric Acid to prevent the buildup and cloudiness.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I haven't had any problems with my mixture causing cloudiness or anything at all....it seems great. Maybe it is your water mixed with it? I have well water.