homemade baby bunny formula?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My cat was huntig a baby rabbit ths morning. Dd snagged it up and brought it in the house. It is apparent it should still be int he nest, but we can't find the nest. It suffered minor cat damage, but will pull through. Dd found a recipe for a formula to feed it, but itcalls for sulfured molasses. I don't have any. Wil what I have do? Mine isn't blackstrap, but the second boiling molasses.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Yikes. Do you have any goat milk? And baby bunnies (wild ones) are so hard to raise! I've never been successful. But good luck!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have no lactating animals right now.

This is the formula recipe she found:

1 cup whole milk, 1 egg yolk, 1 tsp. of SULFERED molasses (NEVER use HONEY) and a couple drops of liquid vitamins. The hardest part is getting it into them the first few days without choking or drowning them. Use a q-tip & replenish with an eyedropper. The q-tip dispenses the milk in a seeping sort of pattern much more like the nipple of the doe normally would. Allow them to drink until they are full and have stopped nursing. After hand feeding be sure to rub the genitalia till the bunny urinates (the mother licks them while they are nursing). Bunnies need to be fed this substitute every 4-8 hours. (milk replacer, milk substitute)

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
An old vet once told me the best formula recipe he ever used (and it works on everything) was 1 soft boiled egg yolk (only the yolk, so it's still runny) and 1 cup of acidophilus milk. I can't ever find the acidophilus milk though. Have no clue where to get that!

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
An old vet once told me the best formula recipe he ever used (and it works on everything) was 1 soft boiled egg yolk (only the yolk, so it's still runny) and 1 cup of acidophilus milk. I can't ever find the acidophilus milk though. Have no clue where to get that!
When I was in high school I was partially lactose intolerant. I could only drink the acidophilus milk. I found it in the case that had all the regular milk. You could only buy it in a half gallon or pint though. No gallons of it available that I ever saw.. Every store around here carries it..

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
WOAH! keeping, harboring wildife is a big no-no. Either kill it or give it to a wildlife rehabilitator, but get it out of your hands ASAP!

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Sunny said:
aggieterpkatie said:
When I was in high school I was partially lactose intolerant. I could only drink the acidophilus milk. I found it in the case that had all the regular milk. You could only buy it in a half gallon or pint though. No gallons of it available that I ever saw.. Every store around here carries it..
Really? I've never seen it! I assume it's labeled pretty clearly, right?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
tortoise said:
WOAH! keeping, harboring wildife is a big no-no. Either kill it or give it to a wildlife rehabilitator, but get it out of your hands ASAP!
Sorry, but not going to happen. Maybe in the states it is a big deal but here, i know many ppl who rehabilitate and release. We've actually done raccons, where we have called and they asked us to keep them until release. If I can manage to keep it alive, i will release the critter. Would you tell me the same thing if it were a robin???? So------------, seriously??????

BTW, now we are up to two buns. apparently, my kitty knows where the den is and feels the need to rob it. :/