Homemade Briquettes

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Does anyone make homemade briquettes?

I work at a place that uses tons of paper. I want to start using the shredded paper for making briquettes for my wood stove. I know that someone posted something about this and I watched youtube videos on this. You use paper, wood chips, saw dust, grass, leaves etc. Mix them with water so you can form bricks and then you use a press that uses a lever method and pvc pipe.

I think it's a great way to save natural resources and it will give me a reason to play with water on hot summer days. We also will need more wood to burn next year if we don't do something. We are almost out of wood from the extra cold winter we are having here in ND.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Let me know how it works. I hve been looking at ways to use up extra paper.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What is their purpose Share?

Are they firestarters?
Or are they meant for long term burning?
just wondering.
I guess being pressed and dried thick and hard they would burn like charcoal?

just wondering?

sounds like a great idea but the amt. you would need would be insane wouldn't it to make a big difference to you?

just thinking out loud?

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The idea I got from the videos was that they were for cooking and small fires in Africa mostly. They are short on wood there and they sell the briquettes as well.

I would like to make something as big as a brick or a bigger mass so that I can use them in my woodstoves. I would like to make them compact enough so they don't burn too quickly. I read that a man makes bricks out of hay, sawdust and horse manure. I can get plenty of that. It took him three years to get his wife to use them in the stove. She didn't like the thought of touching poo.

We live near woods and a lake that flooded so there is plenty of wood around but I want to give this a try for the sake of trying.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh that is really interesting....I do remember us discussing this before somewhere but you jogged my memory on it.

sounds like fun actually....how many times do we get to make mud pies....I mean homemade briquettes..HA HA

It will be interesting to see how they burn for you? How long too.

cool....you can give us an update!!

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I definately will take pics and stuff for you guys. Any chance I have to show off ya know.:celebrate

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
and Share---remember---this might sound far off----but a business can be started on just an idea like yours. You never know!!!!!

People are looking for items like this...yup, so if you do research and they work and you check the market and find nothing comparatible, then you could be walking right into a business.

I might be seeing "Bag O' Briquettes" by Share Company in Lowe's or Home Depot in the future...you never know!!!!

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That is such a great idea Farner Chicck!! I will have to keep that in mind when I'm perfecting my technique. :pop

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
shareneh said:
That is such a great idea Farner Chicck!! I will have to keep that in mind when I'm perfecting my technique. :pop
:lol:
have you been drinking or are you typing really fast...HA HA HA HA
just kidding...my name seemed really out there! :gig

Millionaire idea written all over that Share....remember those Breathe Right strips that guy made...yup he is a billionaire now with a plastic nose strip sold in every store in the world I am sure!

Cheap reasonable heating products are needed out there.....

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
shareneh said:
:lol:
have you been drinking or are you typing really fast...HA HA HA HA
just kidding...my name seemed really out there! :gig

Millionaire idea written all over that Share....remember those Breathe Right strips that guy made...yup he is a billionaire now with a plastic nose strip sold in every store in the world I am sure!

Cheap reasonable heating products are needed out there.....
I am typing in the dark but I did have your name correct the first time, just messed it up when I placed my pop corn guy in the wrong place, no drinking going on here kiddo.

I do love the idea of creating something people can use. I can't believe I didn't think about it before. Wood bundles in Walmart sell for about six bucks. I bet I could come up with something cheaper and that provides more heat with less packaging. Reusing paper and helping the environment while providing a heat source for people has really got me pumped.

There is a woman who was recently widowed and we have been getting her wood until the snow took over. I could make her briquettes and that would help so she doesn't have to haul so much wood inside. The briquettes could be made uniform size and stacked inside. I can't wait for summer. Even if it doesn't get figured out this summer there is always next summer.

All the paper that is shredded in my area is not recycled. It is thrown out with the trash. I could ask for paper from all the offices and pick them up three times a week so that they don't get frustrated with paper piling up.

I really don't have anything to do most of the time. I used to spend a lot of time on my back watching tv. Since finding you guys I have started all kinds of projects and obtained chickens so I have to work a couple of hours a day at least just to keep up. I also sit at work for eight hours or more so this new experiment will be another distraction for me.