Homemade "bummer lamb" milk replacer

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Homemade milk replacer for bummer lambs (orphaned lambs)

1 gal of milk (I used store bought goat's milk)
one can evaporated milk
1 cup of whipping cream
2 cups of buttermilk (I added a bit of kefir too)
1/8 teaspoon of baking soda to add to each bottle of milk

Pour out about 3 1/2 cups of the milk and use for something else. Add the rest of the ingredients back to the gallon jug of milk. Shake well.

Warm bottle of milk in a double boiler...I don't use the microwave, but you can if you want to. Shake it and then test it on your wrist.

During the first few days of life the lamb will drink about 3 oz. of milk per feeding. Feed about every 3 hours.

A baby bottle works just fine by the way. :) I bought one for $1.88 at the grocery store and my lamb took to it right away.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I'm taking them, I'm taking them! The good computer aka the work computer had to go on a business trip. I'm stuck home alone with my old computer.

Anyway I'm headed to the store today to get that device that I can plug in to my computer so I can download onto this beast.

Give me about 2 hours. :D

Oh by the way, you have to cut a tiny "x" into the nipple of a regular baby bottle so the milk comes out a tad bit faster.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I'm pushing this back up b/c it is lambing season. :) I used it for my bummer lamb last year and it worked out very well.