Homemade chicken noodle soup...

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm in the process of boiling down chicken legs now. I like dark meat so much better, and legs will give us plenty of meat in our soup. I don't really have a recipe, just checked the back of a can of noodle soup and went from there. Anyone have any hints or tips? Lol.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Garlic, SCALLIONS!!!, rosemary, salt and pepper. For veggies I really like carrots, parsnips if available, and something green, like spinach or preferably, sugar snap or snow peas, cut into 2-3 pieces and added when I turn the heat off, so they don't overcook.

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I usually add a dollop of acid (lemon juice or vinegar) when boiliing the legs to help draw out the nutrients. Add desired veggies and seasonings -- and serve with fresh bread!

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I usually roast the chicken a bit first to get a nice brown on them and then make soup and stock- gives a bit of a richer flavor, making sure to scrape the pan drippings in too! Then garlic and onion and celery and carrot.
My son loves potato gnocci instead of noodles too.

ChickenToes

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I like bay leaves and thyme in my chicken noodle soup, they give the soup great flavor.