Homemade Christmas ornaments

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I sure hope so. It doesn't help that my Mom's health isn't good either.
Monica

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
:hugs Sending more hugs your way. Not even 2 mos before dmil passed, fil had a triple bypass surgery done. Talk about sitting on pins & needles she was bedridden & he was having the bypass. When dh called to say he was on his way back home I was relieved as dmil was having a horrible day & was taking a lot of morphine & atavan, in fact I did not get to shower that day until about 2 pm when the hospice cna got there. But that's okay, it was well worth it knowing she was taken care of first. Fil is better now & we don't worry as much about him as we did before & his wife takes good care of him. But we are sure he will go next. Sad thing is dh's parents are younger than mine & his dm is gone & df has heart problems & diabetes. He has 2 anuerism's in a nonoperable part of his heart. So we are just biding our time we know. But again he is still here & we get to spend time with him.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow HM that is hard. Enjoy all the family time you can. It is amazing how some get sick when older with, seems, all things and some don't. My mom and dad are in the early 80s and are never sick, no pills, nothing. they are perfect. yet Tony's side, his parents are younger, dad early 70s and mom is just hitting 70...and they have tons of med problems. bad ones too...dad is heart and mom is diabetes going wild. hmm...never know do we how families play out.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Christmas does seem a time for remembering- I'm sorry that there were so many losses to be remembered. May Christmas bring the warm memories too.

One of my favorite ornaments are ribbon birds wich are soo elegant-

http://icandream.com/crafts/a/ribbon/bird/index.shtml

Birds always were christmas items in my home. I made oragami cranes with old wrapping paper - a hundred of them to set on the Christmas tree- it really looked beautiful.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
Christmas does seem a time for remembering- I'm sorry that there were so many losses to be remembered. May Christmas bring the warm memories too.

One of my favorite ornaments are ribbon birds wich are soo elegant-

http://icandream.com/crafts/a/ribbon/bird/index.shtml

Birds always were christmas items in my home. I made oragami cranes with old wrapping paper - a hundred of them to set on the Christmas tree- it really looked beautiful.
Those are gorgeous!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
wow HM that is hard. Enjoy all the family time you can. It is amazing how some get sick when older with, seems, all things and some don't. My mom and dad are in the early 80s and are never sick, no pills, nothing. they are perfect. yet Tony's side, his parents are younger, dad early 70s and mom is just hitting 70...and they have tons of med problems. bad ones too...dad is heart and mom is diabetes going wild. hmm...never know do we how families play out.
You are so right we never know how it will play out. My mom was sick all my life in & out of hospitals & my senior yr she finally had a kidney transplant & put a lot of her issues to rest. But she has had other problems but nothing that major thank God!! All my dad has wrong that we know of is his thyroid is very sluggish & they can't seem to get his medicine worked out properly. But dmil's father died young too & her mom had ALS, I was concerned that dmil might have had it too, because she lost the use of her legs suddenly & she would choke easily on water sometimes. So we will see what happens dfils's parents lived into their 70's I believe, she had a stroke & he had a stroke then a heart attack. But he(fil) had a brother that died in his 40's/50's after bypass surgery(quadruple). So it does run in the family. For Don's sake I hope his dad lives quite a few more yrs. After all he lost in less than a yr it would be too much for him to lose his dad this early too.

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
I took a photo of some Victorian style ornaments I made, they went into a gallery yesterday. It takes me around two hours each to make them, and 3 to 4 yards of continuous thread! The cards also went out for sale, the reindeer and snowman are freehand drawn and all of the cards are water colored. The tree has beads. Please use these ideas for your own handmade cards if you want.

916090.jpg

916083.jpg

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I gather dried unopened milkweed pods and open, clean out the fluff, paint them red, glue together as Poinsettia flowers. They work for inside or outside.

I use the pod seed fluff on my tree as angel hair, which I spray lightly with a fixative to prevent them drifting off into the room. I position these away from the lights.

I use the pampass grass heads that grow in all the ditches and ponds here with a light spray of color at the tips and a fixative. These horrible weedy pests are elegant on the tree.

I have strung little hemlock pine cones with the occasional bead for a garland.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
sylvie said:
I gather dried unopened milkweed pods and open, clean out the fluff, paint them red, glue together as Poinsettia flowers. They work for inside or outside.

I use the pod seed fluff on my tree as angel hair, which I spray lightly with a fixative to prevent them drifting off into the room. I position these away from the lights.

I use the pampass grass heads that grow in all the ditches and ponds here with a light spray of color at the tips and a fixative. These horrible weedy pests are elegant on the tree.

I have strung little hemlock pine cones with the occasional bead for a garland.
Sounds gorgeous. We have a huge twin trunk hemlock and millions of cones. I'll have to make the time to string some one of these days!