Homemade Compost Tumbler.

mydakota

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Last year Hubby made me this homemade compost tumbler. I have made a few batches of compost now, and it works really well and is so much easier to turn than a pile with a pitchfork! I think it is kind of cute. We call it R2. :) Do any of you all have patterns/plans for compost tumblers? I think I would like to make a second one, and will probably make one like R2 again, but would like to see others innovations first.

DSC02280.jpg

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, you just gave me an idea for my husband's next weekend project. :D Honestly, we have the barrel with the holes and we roll it around the yard every now and then, but yours is SOOOOOO much better. :clap

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Gonna call the other one D2? You should really paint it like R2D2 just for fun :lol: It is cute, and GREAT idea!

cabinchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:) I love the white paint on the stand. Could your hubby give us some specifics on the dimensions of the wood, etc?

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I saw one of those barrels in the Runnings store in Aberdeen but NOW I know what to do to make it a good compost "tumbler"!!!
THANKS!!!!! GREAT IDEA.... :thumbsup :clap

mydakota

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Cabinchick, I honestly don't think he used any plans. He just kinda eyeballed it. He is a contractor by profession, so it was a pretty small/easy project for him. I just googled homemade compost tumbler, found him 3 or 4 pictures of designs I liked, and he went out in the back yard and slapped it together. I have to go pick up my older son from school right now, but when I get back I will google again and see if I can find a link to the plans we sorta based it on, okay?

Savvy Farmgirl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I LOVE this. I have been looking at the not so cheap versions in the gardening mags and websites for years but refuse to pay the ridiculous price they want. What a wonderful plan. And best part is I already have a barrel sitting around.... no more pile and fork turning for me. THANKS for a great, easy idea. :cool: