Homemade Compost Tumbler.

cabinchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:) THANKS mydakota, my husband now has a new project, without the excuse of how to put one of these together :lol: This will be a great addition to my garden next year - yes, it will take him that long since it's the latest on my honeydew list :lol:

mydakota

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yes, it has ventilation holes.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have one of those in black. I have a hard time turning it. It gets heavy and some times the lid will just not sit right. My neighbor made one that laid on its side and rolled on casters. It took up a bit more ground space but was so much easier to turn.

I just giving up on compost. I can never get it to go.

:idunno

S

sunsaver

Thats a really cool project! I like idea about laying on castors. It might help mix it well if there were tines inside to sort of rake through the compost as it turns. I might have to build one of these. i've always used a pitch fork.

HappyHomestead

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
TanksHil, I had problems with keeping compost in a tumbler, till I found out it wasn't draining enough. I've had really good results with dumping our stuff in a couple holes that are somewhat sheltered. The only problem is one of our dogs is obsessed with it, so I want to contain it. That and it looks kind of homely. Works though!

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
I have one of those in black. I have a hard time turning it. It gets heavy and some times the lid will just not sit right. My neighbor made one that laid on its side and rolled on casters. It took up a bit more ground space but was so much easier to turn.

I just giving up on compost. I can never get it to go.

:idunno
I gave up too, and now I just spread the yard waste on the garden beds and throw all kitchen scraps to the chickens. Much easier, it helps keep the soil moist in the summer, and it's brought a lot of worms to the soil. :)