Homemade Cream of Chicken Substitute

RedneckWoman

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
For those comfort food recipes that you can't live without yet don't want to use the canned stuff, this is your solution. I've made it many times and it works well in the recipes I've used. Tonight we're having Pioneer Woman's chicken spaghetti using this. Yum!

This recipe is from http://www.tammysrecipes.com/homemade_cream_chicken_soup

Yield:
3 cups (about 2 cans)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups chicken broth*
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/4 teaspoon onion powder**
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder***
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt (or less; taste to test)
1/4 teaspoon parsley
dash of paprika
1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 cup flour

Instructions:
1. In medium-sized saucepan, boil chicken broth, 1/2 cup of the milk, and the seasonings for a minute or two (longer if using fresh onions or garlic).

2. In a bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 cup of milk and flour. Add to boiling mixture and continue whisking briskly until mixture boils and thickens.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:thumbsup Love this! If I had know it was so easy, I'd have dumped Campbells years ago.

RedneckWoman

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
murphysranch said:
Perfect!

Now, if we make a big batch of it, can we can it?
I don't know. I'm sure your local extension office would say NO. Did you know they now poo poo canned pumpkin?

This is really thick and has lots of flour. I kind of thinking canning it might make the texture break down but I am not sure. Freezing does something weird to the texture too so I make it as I need it. Canning is a great idea if it's safe. How do we find out?

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks! I can't wait to try making my own.