Homemade dishwasher soap experiment

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I have a load in the dishwasher right now. I can't get dh to use the powdered version, he loves his "green bottle!" So I am trying an experiment that might intrigue him.

I used the basic dishwasher version posted on this forum, 1 T borax and 1 T washing soda per load.

I combined that with the idea someone (forgot who, let me know, I'm too lazy to search!) had of putting a lemon in the blender for a multi-purpose natural cleaner.

Here's what I did: I put the rinds of 2 whole lemons in the blender with a half cup of warm water and thoroughly ground them to a pulp. Then I added a bit more water to bring it to about 1.5 c total volume. Then I added a half cup each (a half cup is equal to 8 T) of borax and washing soda and blended that. It got thick so I finished it with an ice-tea spoon.

Then I spooned it into a 14-well ice cube tray, with two more "servings" going right into the dishwasher. I evened it up a bit so they all had basically the same amount of goop. I used a bit of water to rinse the last of the good stuff out of the blender and poured it over the cubes to fill them up. I put it in the freezer.

Two cubes is equivilent to a one load batch, I plan to use one cube in the pre-wash compartment and the "green bottle" in the other, to cut the use in half.

I do have a load going now with just homemade stuff in each compartment. Maybe I can wean dh off the green bottle if this works with our dishwasher and our water.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Let us know how it works! It sounds like it would smell great.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The dishes came out just as clean (I like to think cleaner, but I am biased.....) as usual, with NO "green bottle" added to the first load. :celebrate DH was impressed!!! Hopefully he is impressed enough to not come home with another green bottle.

I haven't tried it yet, since they weren't frozen earlier, if the cubes will fit in the compartment that closes. Probably not. So I will have to make a batch and maybe put it in a smallish squeeze bottle to keep in the fridge, unless he agrees to use the powdered version.

Sheesh. People can be funny about some things, huh? :rolleyes: :gig

Oh, and orange, lime, grapefruit peels would work, too. Better yet, a whole lemon.