Homemade Dog Food for when TSHTF

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Several years back, when we still had our AKC Husky Sasha, my hunting neighbor asked if she might like a bone to chew on from his last hunt. I thought she would love a big old chew toy, so I said sure! He brought up a leg bone that was shoulder to hoof with just tiny remnants of meat left on it.

I gave it to my dog and she promptly laid down to begin chewing. A few hours later I went to check on things and it was GONE - nothing left but the hoof and a few small chunks. I guess it all went down smooth. :p :lol:

I HAVE had a dog with broken teeth, however. My big old German Shepherd had most of his canine teeth broken off. Sometimes the same tooth was broken a couple of times. It was not bones that broke his teeth ... that genius broke all of his teeth playing fetch and RAMMING his head into the wall! :rolleyes:

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Well, when I saw the deer leg on my pillow I promptly yelled for the hubby to deal with it (what is a girl to DO?) so he goes to the back door and gives it a big giant heave into the forest.

Of course that made ALL the dogs run off into the forest to retrieve it.......we saw that leg several more times until it was finally just a hoof too.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Well, when I saw the deer leg on my pillow I promptly yelled for the hubby to deal with it (what is a girl to DO?) so he goes to the back door and gives it a big giant heave into the forest.

Of course that made ALL the dogs run off into the forest to retrieve it.......we saw that leg several more times until it was finally just a hoof too.
:yuckyuck

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My friend found her dog because of a deer-foraging dog. She was driving down her dirt road one night and saw a huge black dog hunched over on the side of the road. Thinking he'd been hit by a car she pulled over (hubby was with her) and they found a monster sized Lab/Rottie mix with the hide of a deer down his throat and hanging out of his mouth. He was totally emaciated but once they got all of that skin out of his throat he ate like a beast and filled out into a beautiful dog.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Just the hide? Did it get a hold of just a hide or is that all that was left of the deer?

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
All that was there was hide, no idea what all he got a hold of before they found him.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ive heard of situations like that, the ones ive known of were hunting dogs previously dtched tend to hang around hunting camps hoping for scraps (its what they know...) and many once they get hungry enough will steal hides (and any meat they can) in hopes of a meal off it...when starving they often dont differenciate between the hide itself and the tiny bits of meat left on it...