Homemade Feed Mix Questions for our livestock

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Now that is weird - mine are all done molting. Wonder why mine molted earlier than ya'll's? Especially when ya'll are a just a little more north than me.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mine are about 28 and 24 weeks old and have been through a few feather exchanges so I don't expect a molt this year. We do have feathers everywhere though and the Grands love those feathers. Their parents not so much, lol. I told my sister that makes jewelry she should use some for that. My neighbors are always telling me how pretty my chickens are.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm thinking I need to contact restaurants for food waste. I need to do a bit of research. How have others managed to do this?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A lot of the ones here (and grocery stores too) are super inflexible about pickup times and you must pick up every week, all kinds of other stipulations. But there is a huge demand for excess food here so can't blame them for not wanting to mess around. But that's mostly pig food... I feed my chickens things I would never feed my pigs, lol

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm thinking I need to contact restaurants for food waste. I need to do a bit of research. How have others managed to do this?
I went to restaurants I knew the owners' of and asked if I can put a "pig bucket" in the kitchen. As long as I collected the buckets frequently, they were happy to fill it for me with all sorts of goodies.