Homemade fertilizer experiment

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I remember one year I got a lot of old cow manure and put it in an old pillow case. I sat it in a big tub of water and let it set until it was dark brown. I just dipped it out and poured it around my plants. My plants produced better with little disease or insect damage. I also mulched deeply with shredded leaves and cardboard. The chickens ran in the garden all winter. I guess I can't say for sure what really helped but I suspect it was all of above. I think anything could be used for this. I've heard good things about comfrey tea but rabbit poo should be fine and I wouldn't think you would need to worry about it being too hot.

What does "hot" mean besides burn up plants? From what i have seen on the web rabbit manure has double the nitrogen than chicken manure. But people say chicken manure will burn. I dont get it

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Chicken manure is very acid and not all plants like acid soil or growing conditions.

Re nitrogen, mulch in the garden uses up some nitrogen, so if you can get the right balance, you can top up the nitrogen levels with the rabbit manure tea on the mulched beds and they will even things out for you. Getting the balance right is the tricky part though! I guess experiment and see how the plants perform. Some plants, like corn, pumpkin and squash are heavy users of nitrogen though, so you can be generous with them, with the manure tea.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband had gigantic pumpkins when he was growing up because they planted them right in the pile of horse manure. I think I'll put down my goat manure heavily on my pumpkins, I had forgotten that!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So far so good. Nothing is dead yet. The tomatoes i bought are quite a bit darker than the tomatoes that sprouted in the garden. Im hoping they will darken up but that hasnt happened yet either. The squash and corn are doing well.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well they are still alive and no signs of burning. I want to say some things look like they have perked up a little but it might be my imagination.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think so.... im wondering if the pale tomatoes need more, but i think it may take a little bit for them to get the nutrients. I dont think its like miracle grow where you notice the difference the next day.

Im gonna wait a while and do it again. I still have a bucket of the slop brewing.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow! So its a slow release that keeps it from burning stuff. That pretty much answered all my questions. They used ALOT more than i did too.