Homemade fertilizer experiment

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The white stuff is powdery mildew. All my squash have it and the squash bugs have arrived. I'm going to pull them up and plant sweet corn.

I make chicken butt juice. I put raw chicken poop in a bucket, enough to cover the bottom, then fill with water. I don't put a lid on it, I let it set over night. I pour some in a gallon watering can, about 3" deep, then fill with water. I walk down the row on my heavy nitrogen feeders and it really made a difference. I do believe you are on the right track! There is red clay/loam all around us (we have sugar sand) so for iron, we get a few buckets of red dirt and I put it around the plants.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yup. My squash normally have it, but this year, it is all over them. We've had lots of rain and high humidity. If you water, don't use a sprinkler, water the soil with a hose.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
More gains today
In 3 days the foliage on the okra has doubled. The leaves are about 9 inches in diameter. I took some pics. Post later
The vines have spread alot in the past two days as well. It seems the aeration made the fertilizer less of a time release and more of an instant boost. Very happy with it.

Now im wondering if i should back off on the high nitrogen fertilizer and look for something that feeds fruit growth.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Too much nitrogen will give you all leaf growth. Maybe just stop the fertilizer and let it balance out.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Trying to wet my feet in aquaponics and decided to read what the ingredients was on the liquid fertilizer because I told DH, I wonder if I just put about 10 rabbit turds in a gallon of water, if I wouldn’t have the same results. He responded....or better. I had forgotten about the Epsom salt.
Gonna try a few easy things like onion sets, green beans, tomatoes, cucumbers lettuce and maybe peppers.
Was gonna try it in PVC pipe and still might but first try with empty plastic bottles and jugs. Looks like some people get away with it and I have lots of windows.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We use alot of chicken manure in compost. I may burn some wood or buy ag lime

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I often make "weed tea". Put those weeds in a bucket. fill with water and let it sit till it smells... putrid. then, dilute, and pour onto your plants. Water from the bottom of an aquarium is incredible as a fertilizer.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I remember one year I got a lot of old cow manure and put it in an old pillow case. I sat it in a big tub of water and let it set until it was dark brown. I just dipped it out and poured it around my plants. My plants produced better with little disease or insect damage. I also mulched deeply with shredded leaves and cardboard. The chickens ran in the garden all winter. I guess I can't say for sure what really helped but I suspect it was all of above. I think anything could be used for this. I've heard good things about comfrey tea but rabbit poo should be fine and I wouldn't think you would need to worry about it being too hot.

What does "hot" mean besides burn up plants? From what i have seen on the web rabbit manure has double the nitrogen than chicken manure. But people say chicken manure will burn. I dont get it