Homemade Fertilizer

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The magnesium helps prevent blossom end rot....Epsom salts. Other help? Probably.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My limited understanding Epsom salts, is it makes sulfur, nitrogen and potassium that's already in the soil more available to the plants. It encourages both leaf and root growth.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

crooked-creek-farm

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
The magnesium helps prevent blossom end rot....Epsom salts. Other help? Probably.
Only if your soil in depleted in Magnesium, keep in mind Magnesium is Micro-nutrient plants need very little of it.

Increasing Magnesium around the root zone can in fact cause Blossom End Rot just the same as too much Ammonium Nitrate or the lack of Calcium in the soil or the lack of Calcium getting to the fruit.

crooked-creek-farm

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
i wonder if epsom salts is any good? i always hear about it for tomatoes
That depends on your soil, most soil types don't really need added magnesium.
Unless you get tons of rain, your soil in extremely high in potassium or you have very sandy soil you shouldn't need to add Magnesium. A good soil test will tell you if you would befit from added magnesium or not.
Magnesium is one of the nutrients that will compete with the Calcium uptake and cause Blosom End Rot even though you have plenty of calcium in your soil.

Also, if you are adding a good organic compost to your soil your soils should be fine because compost is rich in Magnesium.

crooked-creek-farm

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My limited understanding Epsom salts, is it makes sulfur, nitrogen and potassium that's already in the soil more available to the plants. It encourages both leaf and root growth.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
If it's pure Epsom Salts, it should be nothing more than Magnesium Sulfate.
Magnesium Sulfate is a Micro-nutrient, so plants don't need much of it.
Most all soils contain a sufficient amount of Magnesium for plants as long as it's healthy and contains organic mater.
A good way to add Magnesium back to the soil is good compost.