homemade frankfurters (hot dogs) - pic

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
These are the ingredients for Applegate Farms "The Great American Organic Uncured Hotdog" which is what I buy at Whole Foods for a zillion dollars a package:
Organic Grass-Fed Beef, Water, Contains Less Than 2% Of The Following: Sea Salt, Organic Spices, Organic Garlic Powder, Organic Paprika, Celery Powder, Organic Onion, Lactic Acid Starter Culture (Not From Milk). I stopped buying hotdogs until I found these.
I seriously want to try yours! Thanks for sharing!
You're welcome!

Wow...that ingredient list is pretty close to the recipe we used. Hmmm...celery powder, I may add that next time.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Kim_NC said:
freemotion said:
Thanks! Now you need to cross-post in the recipes section! ETA: or get a mod to move it....

Do you think the white pepper is used instead of black pepper just for the color, so there are no black specks?

Do you have an opinion on how these taste, compared to common brands?

I think I'd like to try making them before pig processing time comes around. Did you use a sausage stuffer attachment on a stand mixer, or something else?
I'll cross post it over there

I don't think the pepper would matter too much - except yes, using black pepper would make black specks. Not biggie to me...and I almost used black and then stumbled on a small box of leftover white in the cupboard.

Compared to common brands, I think they definitely needed more salt. I'm going to quote ingredients below from 2 major hot dog brands - but suffice to say they use nitrates and therefore have more salt flavor.

The homemade are also a little more sausage-like. I think less pork would be a good idea. I've done some reading and found commercial hot dogs are limited to 20% (or less) "mechanically separated" pork. Or no pork at all in the case of all beef franks.

I noted the commercial franks have corn syrup, dextrose, maltodextrin, etc. Perhaps these sweetners make a difference in flavor. Some of the original recipes I had called for a bit of sugar. I didn't think that was necesssary and left it out.

Another thing I noted was after being parboiled they were no longer pinkish....more of a whitish cooked meat color (but not browned). That tells me something is making those commercial franks continue to look "pinkish"...but what? I don't know.

Grinding the meat a total 3 times made a very fine mixture. However, it was still firmer than typical frank texture. After seeing the definition of mecahnically separated, I understand why.

Oscar Mayer - original

MECHANICALLY SEPARATED TURKEY AND MECHANICALLY SEPARATED CHICKEN, PORK, WATER, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF SALT, GROUND MUSTARD SEED, SODIUM LACTATE, CORN SYRUP, DEXTROSE, SODIUM PHOSPHATES, SODIUM DIACETATE, SODIUM ASCORBATE, SODIUM NITRITE, FLAVOR.

http://brands.kraftfoods.com/oscarm...uct/product_display&Site=1&Product=4470000063

Oscar Mayer - beef

BEEF, WATER, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF SALT, CORN SYRUP, SODIUM LACTATE, DEXTROSE, SODIUM PHOSPHATES, SODIUM DIACETATE, FLAVOR, ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C), EXTRACTIVES OF PAPRIKA, SODIUM NITRITE.

http://brands.kraftfoods.com/oscarm...uct/product_display&Site=1&Product=4470000281
Ball Park Franks - original

MECHANICALLY SEPARATED TURKEY, PORK, WATER, CORN SYRUP, BEEF, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: SALT, POTASSIUM LACTATE, SODIUM PHOSPHATES, FLAVORINGS, BEEF STOCK, SODIUM DIACETATE, SODIUM ERYTHORBATE, MALTODEXTRIN, SODIUM NITRITE, EXTRACTIVES OF PAPRIKA.

http://www.ballparkfranks.com/franks-meat-original

Ball Park Franks - beef

BEEF, WATER, CORN SYRUP, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS: SALT, POTASSIUM LACTATE, BEEF STOCK, SODIUM PHOSPHATES, FLAVORINGS, SODIUM DIACETATE, SODIUM ERYTHORBATE, ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C), SODIUM NITRITE, EXTRACTIVES OF PAPRIKA.

http://www.ballparkfranks.com/franks-beef-original
For definitions of "mechanically separated" meats, see this USDA page:
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/hot_dogs/index.asp - scroll abouthalfway down the page
The nitrite (not nitrate) helps to keep them pink, a SMALL amount of sugar,will help them brown if cooked with a high heat method. The smaller the grind the more the texture will be like store hot dogs. I like to add dried milk solids as a texture aid (but your egg probably does the same) If the lack of the pink color bugs you add some artificial red food color (NC is known for thier screaming red hot dogs!)

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
~gd said:
The nitrite (not nitrate) helps to keep them pink, a SMALL amount of sugar,will help them brown if cooked with a high heat method. The smaller the grind the more the texture will be like store hot dogs. I like to add dried milk solids as a texture aid (but your egg probably does the same) If the lack of the pink color bugs you add some artificial red food color (NC is known for thier screaming red hot dogs!)
Ooppsss.....yes, nitrite (not nitrate). Thanks.

LOL....oh yeah, those famous NC red hot dogs. I can't eat the things. (Originally from PA, where hot dogs are pinkish, not flaming red. LOL)

I don't mind the lack of pink color and try to avoid food colorings. I just thought it was worth mentioning since we were making the comparison to store bought. Anyway, food coloring would work for those who want the color to make them more 'commercial-like'.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Kim_NC said:
~gd said:
Ooppsss.....yes, nitrite (not nitrate). Thanks.

LOL....oh yeah, those famous NC red hot dogs. I can't eat the things. (Originally from PA, where hot dogs are pinkish, not flaming red. LOL)Western NY originally the only way I eat the red ones are charred

I don't mind the lack of pink color and try to avoid food colorings. I just thought it was worth mentioning since we were making the comparison to store bought. Anyway, food coloring would work for those who want the color to make them more 'commercial-like'.
I' buy' a lot of sausage that is grey. I have done my own but I now have a local craftman that even grows his own meat. I trade duck eggs for them. Met him at a local farmer's market and suggested he give out free cxooked samples along with my scrambled egg samples. Doubled both of our sales. City people can't resist the smell of eggs and sausage in the morning. We can't sell breakfast because of rules but we can give away samples. Outside of all the pre-orders I just move a few dozen now. price is higher when they are hard to get. trying to get a baker to join us, put samples on bread or toast would be better for everybody...