Homemade fruit fly traps.

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have been using a paper cone flipped upside down in a tall glass with a piece of banana in the bottom, but then I found a trick that uses a tapered plastic bottle (2-liter soda bottle). I think I will try this later.

What's your best home made fruit fly trap, and what do you use as bait? I have used red wine, apple cider vinegar, red wine vinegar. They all work well, and drown some of the buggers. When I need a faster lure, I have found that a piece of banana or even just a piece of banana peel works the best.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I haven't ever had much of a fruit fly problem, not to the extent that I needed a trap. But if I were to, I would do what my mother used to do. She would take a jar with a metal lid, punch some holes in the lid with a nail, so that the sharp bits were on the inside, put an inch or so of vinegar in the jar, and put on the lid. The flies are attracted to the vinegar, crawl through the holes, and can't get back out. Using your bit of banana instead of the vinegar sounds like a good idea too.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I use a pint canning jar with an inverted pop bottle top and place a bit of apple cider vinegar in the bottom of the jar. So far, so good.

I like the idea of using banana...never would have thought of that one.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
In a bowl, I mix ACV and a drip of dish soap. cover with plastic wrap and poke small holes in it with a toothpick. They are attracted to the ACV, the dishsoap makes themsticky and heavy, and athey can't climb out the small holes, but they can climb into it.

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I only thought of banana because I was out of red wine vinegar and straight red wine. *hic*. ;) Bananas are the first things I find them on, so I just threw a piece in there to see what would happen.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
In a bowl, I mix ACV and a drip of dish soap. cover with plastic wrap and poke small holes in it with a toothpick. They are attracted to the ACV, the dishsoap makes themsticky and heavy, and athey can't climb out the small holes, but they can climb into it.
I've tried this method (my niece swears by it) & it failed miserably...BUT, I didn't use the dishsoap so maybe that's the trick. ;) Guess I'll try it again!