Homemade Handy Devices

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'll bet some of you have built homemade devices that are handy and helpful to use in the garden, kitchen and farm. I have built a few, but I'll just share two here.

This one is very simple and handy for weeding around onions and little plants like that. It is a long stem screwdriver bent with about a one and one half inch hook on the tip. Then I bored a couple of hole in the handle and fastened an long handle to mine so I don't have to get down on the ground to use it. Any old screwdriver will do. You don't need a big heavy duty one as they are very hard to bend into the shape you want. This little jigger makes a handy device to scratch the soil with, and by sticking it in the ground, dragging and twisting it a little you can get rid of a lot of little weeds.

The other device that I confabbed together is a type of exercise device. I had back surgery before most of you were born. Exercise is a must with me, and I had one doctor give me this exercise, but it took another person to help me or else I had to do it in an isometric form which was awkward. So I built something that works for me. Due to my back trouble I get hip problems once in awhile, and that is what this exercise is for. You lay on your back, knees bent, soles of you feet on the floor, and feet together. The feet together is very important. I put an old basketball about three fourths flat between my knees with an old belt around my knees and the ball. This belt goes under your knees and up over the top of your knees. I use an old leather belt. None of that stretch material. With feet together on the floor, you squeeze the ball trying to compress it for about 5 to 8 seconds. Then you try to spread your knees apart for about 5 to 8 seconds trying to spread the belt apart. I do as many as I like. My DW uses this exercise once in awhile; however, she sits in a chair, feet together on the floor, with ball and belt used the same way. I took one of my old shirts and tied the ball and the belt together so when I pulled on the belt the ball would not fall out. The old shirt tying the ball and the belt together is the biggest challenge.

I'll bet Bee and Free could enlighten everyone on what this does, but doctors have told me most people who have had the back surgery like mine have had to have another surgery about every 8 to 10 years. Believe me - I'm way, way over due.

I don't know if this interests anybody, but it sure helps the hip.

As with any exercise you might go light at first or check with your doctor.

What have some of you other members built?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Tallman said:
I'll bet Bee and Free could enlighten everyone on what this does, but doctors have told me most people who have had the back surgery like mine have had to have another surgery about every 8 to 10 years. Believe me - I'm way, way over due.
Yup, if more doctors gave people exercises and if more patients were actually compliant, there would be far fewer surgeries and far less pain in the world!

Sounds like you are strengthening (and also releasing) the abductor group and the adductor group (hip muscles) which are often very neglected in treatment plans. Flexors/extensors would also benefit from this as well. Takes a lot of pressure off the low back.

Whenever someone comes to me with low back pain, I work to release all the hip muscles (knee to waist, basically, front-back-inside-outside, plus the iliopsoas in the abdominal area. Although I will work directly on the low back, if the hip muscles are not all released, the pain will return very quickly, within a few minutes to a few days.)

There is your "why!" ;)

I like your weeder, I'll have to make me one of those! My most recent farm device projects are very specific, may not be of much interest to most here.....a milking stand, a cheese press, cheese aging crates that are mouseproof (I hope!!!), my 2hp tiller (the first picture I posted....ever!)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I just thought of something I made recently, a bottle washer. I use quart and pint size swing-top bottles over and over, and have not been able to find a bottle brush that will fit through the narrow neck. So I straightened a wire hanger, tied some strips of towelling near one end, and bent the end back over it, squishing the wire down so it will fit in the bottle. I made a loop at the other end, and voila! a free bottle washer. It hangs on the pegboard in the garage, and I just clean it with a bleach solution before using it each time.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I made a little tool to put my christmas lights up on the gutters when I lived in town LOL ... It was epic