Homemade Household Cleaning Recipes

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I came across a few more home cleaning recipes.

Simple ways to clean and refresh your floors and carpets.
Carpet Freshener
1 cup crushed dried herbs (such as rosemary, southernwood, or lavender)
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda

Combine all the ingredients in a large jar or other container with a tight-fitting lid. Shake well to blend. Sprinkle some of the mixture on your carpet, let it sit for an hour or so, and then vacuum it up. It will give the room a pleasant smell and neutralize carpet odors.

Wood Floor Polish
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Mix the ingredients well, rub on the floor, and buff with a clean, dry cloth.

Rug Cleaner
1/4 teaspoon dishwashing liquid
1 cup lukewarm water

Combine the ingredients. Use a spray bottle to apply the solution over a large area, or use the solution to spot-clean nongreasy stains. (Dont use laundry detergent or dishwasher detergent in place of dishwashing liquid, as they may contain additives that can affect the rugs color.)

See our

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is an old topic, but it came up when I was searching for cleaners, and I thought they were good recipes.

I have been taking lemon and lime peels left over from cooking or making lemonade and putting them in a large jar with vinegar. I let the solution sit for a few weeks, shaking it every once in a while. After a few weeks, I strain the peels out, and I have lemon-lime smelling vinegar. I add a teaspoon each of borax and washing soda to it, and put it in a spray bottle. It makes a great all-purpose cleaner, and it smells really good.

I am looking for something a little stronger to use in the bathroom on the shower and toilet and was wondering if anyone had any recipes?

HEChicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
:hide I'm afraid I'm not much help. The only 2 things I ever use are vinegar and baking soda. I haven't yet found anything that one or the other doesn't clean better than any commercial cleaner I ever purchased in the past.

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is a great window cleaner house cleaners use to use this in lodges to clean nicotine off windows and I have found that it is easy peasy and no streak:

1 part cornstarch to 2 parts water
wipe it on let it soft dry, wipe off with paper or cloth towel. Hope you love this as much as I have I won't use anything else.

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I wonder if just plain baking soda made into a paste with a little water would scour hard water deposits off the shower. Maybe simple is better. :)

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bambi, I will have to try your window cleaner, what an interesting idea. I have been using plain vinegar to clean the windows lately...when I actually get around to cleaning the windows ;)

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow, I could send a PDF on all the recipes I have or have tried! :lol:

My favorites lately are for daily shower spray:

Mix together one-half cup of hydrogen peroxide, one-half cup of rubbing alcohol, about six drops of grease cutting dishwashing liquid, two teaspoons of liquid spot-free dishwasher rinse (jet dry), and twenty-four ounces of water. Using this on a daily basis will keep your shower and liner cleaner longer.

I have hard water and using this, I clean our showers about once every 6 months.

And for dust mop treatment, works like Endust:
2 drops any cooking oil, lemon oil or whatever you have per 1/2 cup of water. Put in a spray bottle, shake before using. A couple mists on your duster does the trick. I use an old swiffer wand thingy with cut up t-shirt instead of their dusting sheets.