Homemade insect repellent

kristenm1975

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've made three others so far, but I wanted to be sure to record the details on this one because I really like the way it smells and feels. Don't know how it works yet for repelling bugs, but will find out tomorrow as I am heading out to camp for the weekend with the family. Perfect timing! I'll also probably have many willing victims to test it all out on. Bwah ha ha!

So, here's the mix, as far as I can recall:

2 1/2 oz witch hazel
1 1/2 oz rubbing alcohol
1 tsp jojoba oil
Essential oils:
lavender- 2 droppersful
eucalyptus- 1 lg dropperful
bergamot- 20 drops
rosemary- 10 drops
cloves- 10 drops
pine needle- 10 drops
lemongrass- 20 drops
geranium- 15 drops
bay laurel- 15 drops

I have it in a spray bottle, and it needs to be shaken well before each application. It goes on with a slight oily feel, but dries smooth, non-greasy, but with a moisturized feel. Highly impressive!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
That is almost the same recipe for an herbal lice remedy. Switch the alcohol and hazel for 10 T of olive oil. It really does work too. My daughter used to get lice back in Houston from other school kids. Just another wonderful thing about Houston. :rolleyes:

Thanks for posting!

kristenm1975

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm amazed at how bad lice can be in schools and daycares. I worked at the YMCA on Whidbey Island for 4 years and we had to do head checks on every kid at least once a week because the lice were so epidemic. They were SO hard to get rid of.

Just a note about the insect repellent mix I just posted: I think the ratio of essential oils to carrier liquid needs to be reduced. I have it on my arms and legs and am feeling a bit headache-y and nausiated all of a sudden. Good thing I tested it out on myself first!

MountainMom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
A good lice remedy is to slather the entire head with Crisco and cover with a shower cap. This smothers the lice. It's recommended by more than one state health dept. Follow up with nitpicking, and repeat treatments, per lice life cycle.

Lice can't live off host very long, regarding environmental control. Eggs only laid on human host.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I'm interested in simple insect repellents, especially for me and my horse. Seems I go through the store bought junk real fast. A friend had a recipe that called for Dawn, Skin So Soft, and a few other ingredients but I'm not sure it works like I want. I wish I could just find a few local plants I could crush and mix with alcohol or even oil or something....I need easy!

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
pioneergirl said:
I wish I could just find a few local plants I could crush and mix with alcohol or even oil or something....I need easy!
Allow me to second that request. Is there a simple recipe that doesn't require searching out & buying all those different ingredients (essential oils, etc.)?

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just received an email last night that gave a bunch of uses for Bounce fabric softener. One of the uses was as an insect repellant. You take a softener sheet and loop it through a beltloop, attach it with a pin, etc. Whatever. I don't use softener sheets, so I don't know if it works, but it seems like a quick and easy insect repellant.....if it works. :)

mamaluv321

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Rose geranium oil is an excellent tick repellent, and if you happen to have a bush of it you can make your own oil. I'm not sure about the exact process but worth lookin into!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I love using the e-oils b/c they smell so good. With the lice treatment I would leave it in my daughter's hair after I "combed" it, then braid it into a long braid and tie a bandana over it in that cool way. Then she would wear it all day and night. It rinses out easily if you shampoo it without water first, then add warm water and scrub.

They also last forever, I must have made about 5-6 different treatments for her and I still have lots of e-oils left. I use them in my homemade deodorant and ACV hair rinses etc.

In the long run I saved money. Now I'm going to use them for this great insect repellent. :)