Homemade Jerky Treats for Dogs

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Has anyone made dehydrated jerky type treats for dogs? I've been seeing treats that are a little strip of meat wrapped around a biscuit or sweet potato chunk. They're expensive. Why couldnt I make them myself?

I have a dehydrator for jerky that runs at 135 degrees. I could precook them in the oven to be sure to kill off pathogens if I'm concerned about the source of the meat.

What are your experience with homemade meat, jerky, or dehydrated dog treats?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I haven't made jerky treats for the dogs - I'm too selfish to share jerky, lol. But, my youngest dog crazy granddaughter made $136 dollars in a couple of days selling dog treats. They didn't really set a price, but just asked for donations. Hard to resist a cute little girl selling homemade dog treats, lol.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I need to work on my cuteness! 😂

Thats not a bad idea! They're another item that can be made well in advance. I could maybe do a farmers market booth in spring or fall when temperature and sunshine are less intense. A swap meet is even less commitment and no need for signage and marketing materials.

I cant imagine having extra dog treats! 🤣

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I make Liver Snacks for my dogs, but those are more of a milk bone type treat.
I have never made jerky treats for my dogs, however, there is a bag of beef jerky in the cupboard that I made that is really not good. I use it as treats occasionally. The jerky I made has too much salt to be given frequently.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I worry about giving Jerky style treats to dogs. Now this is entirely my own observations and speculations, and I may be way off base here with my opinion.

There have been many reports of the chicken jerky treats causing sickness and death in dogs. A lot of testing and research has not provided any answer as to why this is happening. They can not find any toxins or poisonous substances in or on the jerky.

I think it has to do with the way dogs eat these treats. Dogs do not take a bite of jerky and chew it until it is soft and mushy before swallowing it. People eating jerky tend to chew it up and mix it with saliva in the mouth and make it somewhat mushy before swallowing. When a dog swallows a chunk of jerky that is not well chewed, that jerky will continue to absorb moisture until it is once again wet and mushy - getting the moisture from the environment it is in. If that piece of jerky is laying against the stomach or intestine wall, it will stick to the soft, wet surface and draw moisture from the surface. (I placed a piece of chicken jerky on a wet paper plate and let it sit there for a little while. When I picked it up, it had paper plate particles stuck to it.) As the dog moves around, the intestinal contents are moved on through the intestine. As the jerky is force to move, it gets ripped from the tissue wall, possibly leaving tiny tears in the surface of the intestine that can become irritated or infected - causing sickness.

That is totally my point of view. No science to back it up, nothing but my opinion.
Many dogs eat jerky style treats every day and never have any problems.

Latest posts