Homemade laundry detergent: Liquid vs Dry

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Surely there is a post here somewhere with recipes, however I am unable to locate it. If anyone would share, that would rock a whole lot. We currently use soap nuts for most wash and then horribly scented store bought detergent for the really grungy stuff.

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I used the liquid version for about a year, but was having problems with my clothes smelling sour. I switched to the dry version about 6 months ago and haven't had a problem with the smell since.

vachicks

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Rebecka try this thread http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2878

LOTS of recipes on here!

I believe any TRUE soap will work for the laundry recipes. Just make sure it is not a detergent bar (petroleum based) like the vast majority of "soaps" on the market really are.

Personally I use a basic homemade lye soap when making my laundry powder. :)
Thanks, Octagon is just soap so it should be fine, I 'll give it a try.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
When i first made it, I did the liquid, since that is what I used to buy. i found it too temperamental, and frankly too much of a pain, so I tried the powdered version. and I have never looked back. some say it clumps up int he dispenser, but I find the key is to make sure you shred tie bar soap very fine.

And as far as which bar of soap to use, we don't get fels naptha or zote here, (at least anywere I have looked), I use a regular ole bar of laundry soap. Love it and will never go back to buying it again.

buckeye lady

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have made the liquid version several times. I like the liquid results, but I prefer the dry for several reasons, Easier to make, store and use. The dry also seems to get my linens cleaner and they smell great. I use 1 cup of baking soda, 1 cup of soda ash, 1 cup of borax and 1 finely grated bar of ivory. I use 2 Tablespoons of mixture per load. This makes about 20 loads.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I made the powdered version first... I use only cold water washing and it did not dissolve all of the way. And it doesn't last very long. I was very disappointed. I love my liquid soap, though. It's just preference. As to the liquid being "slimy," I guess I just don't care what it looks like as long as it works. I store mine in gallon vinegar jugs and shake before pouring.