Homemade laundry soap...WHERE do you find the washing soda????FOUND!

StonehavenFarm83

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Okay, frugalites, I am trying my best to round up the ingredients for the laundry soap. Looked at WalMart yesterday for the washing soda, but all they have in the laundry aisle is 'Arm & Hammer BAKING soda'.
I am in the upstate of SC. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!! :)

Being the impatient person that I am, I did a search and found on drugstore.com. They have a special...buy one, get one 50% off. Also found coupon code for $5 off $30 order and free shipping on $25 order.
So, I ordered the washing powders (4 in total) and some other necessary items for the home and got free shipping, plus $5 off PLUS THEY ACCEPT PAYPAL!!! Now, if the soap works, I am set for a while on the washing soda!!! :D If it doesn't work for us, then ebay, here I come!!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It works!!!

I just made the dishwasher version and that seems to be doing great, too. You may need more soda. :D

Check out the other threads on this subject and you will find that pool ph balancer is the same thing, and that should be readily available soon if it is not already in the stores in your area.

StonehavenFarm83

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
freemotion said:
It works!!!

I just made the dishwasher version and that seems to be doing great, too. You may need more soda. :D

Check out the other threads on this subject and you will find that pool ph balancer is the same thing, and that should be readily available soon if it is not already in the stores in your area.
Thank you so much for the affirmation on the soap. I have had some sceptical responses from family members when I mention that I am going to try the laundry soap. (Hoping to prove to them that it's a good idea!)
With a boy starting college in August, I am trying to reevaluate our spending even more and find areas to cut back in. Only thing is, when you've cut to bare bones already, it's hard to find spots to cut back more on!!! Any tips would be appreciated!!
Thanks again!
Jo

Emsevers

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I just wanted to thank you for putting that tip about finding the washing soda on drugstore.com. I never even thought to look there. I've been searching for it locally and no one had it. Although they were out of stock but at least I was able to backorder it.

I've never made my own soap of any kind before so I'm really excited to try this.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
As of this week, the Walmart has washing soda (disguised as ph+) in the pool section. They finally stocked the pool supplies.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Freemotion, can you tell us how to make the dishwasher soap?

StonehavenFarm83

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Emsevers said:
Hi, I just wanted to thank you for putting that tip about finding the washing soda on drugstore.com. I never even thought to look there. I've been searching for it locally and no one had it. Although they were out of stock but at least I was able to backorder it.

I've never made my own soap of any kind before so I'm really excited to try this.
Emsevers,
You are most welcome. I have made 2 batches and it is working GREAT! I used about 2/3 of a bar of Ivory and should have cooked a little longer, but it's doing well. I do have an extra large capacity washer, so I increased the amount to one cup per load. With my calculations, it costs me 2 cents per load to do laundry!! I was using the dry soap from Sam's Club and it had cost me approx. 20 cents per load, not factoring in the membership fees I pay annually.
If you have a Walgreens nearby, they have the 3 pack of IVORY on sale thru Saturday for 99 cents.
Let me know what you think of the laundry soap!!
Have a great day~!
Jo :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Mackay said:
Freemotion, can you tell us how to make the dishwasher soap?
I used the recipe on this site, equal parts washing soda and borax and use 2 T per load.

I made my cubes with citrus fruit by using that mix with grapefruit and lemon peels that I ran through the blender with water. It siezed up into a solid brick. But I put some in ice cube trays and used the little bricks in the open pre-wash thingy and it worked great. I just used my last one yesterday, so I think I will make some more, as I have an old grapefruit to get rid of.

I originally put the ice cube trays in the freezer, but after making a quart and having it sieze up in two pint containers that I ended up throwing in the trash, I think I can just stick it in the fridge overnight. I bet I can even store the cubes at room temp. I'll try it and see if they get moldy or not.

I do have a jar of the powder under my sink. It didn't work in my dishwasher the first time I tried it, but I decided to try again and it was fine. Some moisture must've gotten into the little compartment the first time I used it, because it siezed up and I had to pry it out, undissolved, when the cycle finished.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Freemotion- Have you had any problems with a white film building up on your dishes? I didn't at first, but if I use the borax/washing soda solution for more than a couple washes in a row, I get the film! I am using the vinegar in the rinse aid dispenser. Do you think the citrus helps?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
:lol: Well, I wish I could answer that.....dh does most of the dishwashing, and he insists on using the green bottle the second I have my back turned! He did use the cubes in the prewash and the green stuff in the other dispenser. I just filled the rinse dispenser with vinegar myself.

I bet the citrus helps, though. It is a powerful cleaner, and I've read tips on using citrus drink powders to clean the inside of the dishwasher. I will buy lemons on sale to make my next batch of cubes, and use the whole lemon along with any saved peels.

You'll have to figure that out for us!