Homemade lotion

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So, the thickness seems to actually be a plus. Hubby loves it. Mom claimed 2 jars when I told her how thick it is. Then hubby stole a jar for a coworker.

The thickness also makes putting it in tight places, like the crease of my ear where my eczema decided to pop up a few months ago and wasn't going away.

6 days and the eczema is light and hopefully will be fully healed in a week.

I used a mole remover on the big one on my cheek a week ago. I started this lotion on it after day 3 when the mole fell off. 3 days later and the skin on the cheek was fully healed. It actually surprised me how fast it healed.

So I'm happy with how it's working. I do need to make thinner one that works in a squeeze bottle instead of a 1/4 pint mason jar.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Hinotori , I freeze my Jewel weed/plantain lotion. It freezes very well. Older jars that have been left at room temp get granular. But, I notice that the grainy bits do dissolve after contact with warm skin. Any comments on the way some lotions get grainy or even have crystals in them with age, and what might be done to prevent it?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I usually fill a pint jar 3/4 full and add oil. I can start doing half full. Some of the herbs I don't get a lot of.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If they were dried flowers it's good. You'll have to look for any mold of they were fresh. Should still be good though.

I have cottonwood buds in oil that have been sitting there about 11 months now. It's only supposed to get better with time. All the moisture evaporated long ago so it's fine. That stuff smells like spring.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You can add some. I use peppermint to counter the scent of rosemary as they cancel each other on smell. Too much of any essential oil and you risk a sensitivity reaction. That's why essential oils must always be diluted. Very few of them are safe to use undiluted on the skin.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is inspiring me to make my own lotions. I can’t use any of the commercial lotions or face lotions except for Aveeno. I guess I need to plant a herb garden so I’ll have something to start with.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mom still goes on about the batch I made with half the water. I had to make more for her. It's controlled that dry patches she has on her arms. Nothing else has worked for her. She started using it on Dad's feet as well to get the scaling off. Dad was surprised that it worked.

It's a very nice way to use topical herbals.