Homemade mattress?

Lynne

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hi WyoDreamer. Our hull mattresses make no noise that I can hear. The problem with buckwheat hull pillows is most companies use the wrong kind of fabric, usually a stiff fabric that when the hulls rub up against it, makes a noise. We use a stretchy double knit (thick and soft) organic cotton insert for our pillows with a case in the same fabric over that. Buckwheat hulls are my choice for mattresses (they are naturally flame resistant) but millet hulls make a much nicer pillow as they are smaller, softer and very quiet.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You can grow millet & buckwheat. While the mattresses they made were much thinner than a commercial variety we buy now, they also used a flexible holder, not hard box.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I grow buckwheat for the deer - and some for the birds. And I accidentally grew some millet where I spilled some of the feed for the guinea hens.

Maybe I will find some stretchy double knit cotton and try to remake the pillow. I really liked it, but needed more sleep than i was getting.

Lynne

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
You can grow millet & buckwheat. While the mattresses they made were much thinner than a commercial variety we buy now, they also used a flexible holder, not hard box.
We make full thickness mattresses from buckwheat hulls (5 1/2" thick) but yes, some companies still make buckwheat hull roll up style mats for sleeping but I find these are not supportive enough for sleeping.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My mattress is stuffed with sand. It's very thin and pretty comfortable once you wiggle your body shape into it.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
WHAT? Really? Is it on a frame?

Yes it's on a standard box spring it's a quilted mattress sand is in between the sown quilts. It's very comfortable and cool in the summer. I've had it a very long time. My doctor recommended it after I had back surgery when I blew a disc out of my lower back (L2/L3).

Latest posts