Homemade Pesticides

Okiepan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
As I was walking my tater patch , There was a little vermin there ( tater bug ) I sprayed 2 weeks ago with BT which works great but the 5" of rain we had a while ago , I used my Natural Pesticide today of Neem Oil , Eucalyptus Oil , Clove Oil, and a liquid soap for the surfactant.
So what types do y'all make in your parts of your little slice of Heaven.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have used cayenne pepper before but also used peppermint, clove or cinnamon and citronella oils before too.

Never used Neem oil but someone suggested it so maybe I will grab some this year.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't use many pesticides but I'd love to have something natural for fleas. I've heard about spreading lime in the yard, but have also heard it's not long lasting. Has anyone ever used it for fleas?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Mom hates ants so i have some ant bait liquid i've mixed up from borax and sugar and water. nothing else i've used here in many years. hand picking bugs at times, destroying (burying) weak plants that are being attacked, not planting things that need a lot of that kind of treatments. generally trying to avoid getting on the chemical destruction bandwagon because every case of that eventually just comes up with breeding even worse pests. instead working on encouraging diversity and finding other methods as much as i can.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't use stuff.....

In Texas I had a bad case of.... something... I read up on the life cycle and it turns out one part of their life they live in the dirt at the base of the plant, and if you super soak the soil at that point they drown.

So, I did that... it worked well enough that my rose was fine.

I have always picked hardy plants, and grown in a way that helps them.

I do tend to explode with aphids in my greenhouse. But much of that is my fault since I plant the plants too tightly.

But... I still plant tightly, and just spend HOURS sitting in the dirt and smushing aphids with my fingers.

If I stay on it as soon as they show up, then it isn't too bad.....

With houseplants I have taken them to the shower, made the water as strong as possible to rinse off pests, repotted..... used sticky traps/tape.

I am full on modern chemicals though for parasites with livestock... nothing else works as well.