Homemade Play Dough

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Does anyone have a recipe for play dough? My kids are really too old for it but they still like to play with it sometimes. I really don't want to go out and buy any though.

Thanks!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I know this is a bit more than you asked for, but--hey--I'll toss them in :)

Finger Paint
cup cornstarch
1 cup cold water
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
2 cups hot water
cup soak flakes or detergent
food coloring

In small bowl or measuring cup, mix the gelatin with cup cold water. Set aside to soak. Put cornstarch and cup cold water in small saucepan and stir until dissolved. Add the hot water and cook over medium, stirring nonstop until mixture boils and looks clear. Remove from heat. Blend in softened gelatin. Add soap flakes and stir until paint is free of lumps. Set aside to cool. Divide into 5 jars or cups. Add food coloring drop by drop until you get a color you like.

Gloop--really fun texture for stretching and playing with
8 oz white craft glue
1 cup water
poster or tempura paint
1 cup warm water
1 tsp Borax powder

Mix glue and first cup water. Stir until well blended. Add a few drops of pain. Then, stir Borax and warm water until powder is dissolved. Slowly add Borax mixture to glue mixture, stirring constantly for 2 min. Knead gloop until smooth and stretchy. Store in airtight container.

Play Dough
2 cups flour
cup salt
1 tbsp. alum
3 tbsp. oil
3 cups boiling water

Sift dry ingredients together. Add oil. Pour 2 cups boiling water over top and mix well. Dye with food dye. Store in fridge.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Koolaid play dough

1 cup flour
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 package unsweetened Kool-Aid
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons cream of tartar
1 cup water

Mix flour, salt, cream of tartar and Kool-Aid in a medium pot. Add water and oil. Stir over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes. When mixture forms a ball in pot, remove. Knead until smooth. Put in a plastic bag and refrigerate.

I never added the cream of tartar and it turned out fine. Also, I would boil the water and add to mixture, as opposed to cooking it.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I love the koolaid playdo...used to make it for my kids all the time...scented and coloured in one. I don't have the recipe anymore...Miss North does:>)

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Sorry, I REFUSE to help!! :p Play doh is banned in our house!! Along with bubbles!! I can not stand it getting ground into the carpet and we have had literally gallons worth of bubbles dumped on the carpet...so they are banned!!!! I send all play doh to my mom's house for my 6 yo to play with. When you have 5 kids grabbing at it it just goes everywhere and gets all mixed up and just YUCK!! My 6 yo will play for hours with it at my mom's so it is a treat just for grandma's house!

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
Sorry, I REFUSE to help!! :p Play doh is banned in our house!! Along with bubbles!! I can not stand it getting ground into the carpet and we have had literally gallons worth of bubbles dumped on the carpet...so they are banned!!!! I send all play doh to my mom's house for my 6 yo to play with. When you have 5 kids grabbing at it it just goes everywhere and gets all mixed up and just YUCK!! My 6 yo will play for hours with it at my mom's so it is a treat just for grandma's house!
Ha Ha Ha :gig
I totally understand. Our house doesn't have any carpet or I might be with you. The thing that I hate is glitter. Way back when I was working we had a nanny who LOVED glitter. I came home one night and cooked a pot of rice. When it was done I opened the pot and there was blue glitter in it! And then a few day's later I changed the baby and he had sparkly poop :sick

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
poppycat said:
PamsPride said:
Ha Ha Ha :gig
I totally understand. Our house doesn't have any carpet or I might be with you. The thing that I hate is glitter. Way back when I was working we had a nanny who LOVED glitter. I came home one night and cooked a pot of rice. When it was done I opened the pot and there was blue glitter in it! And then a few day's later I changed the baby and he had sparkly poop :sick
EWW!! I actually love glitter...but, I am the only one that uses it!! None for the kiddos! I have also got glitter glue banned at church!! The children's Pastor...who did NOT have any kids...used glitter glue to decorate flower pots on Easter. OMG!! I had my sister's three kids at the time... so I had 5 kiddos in children's church (two more in the younger classes at the time) and they were all dressed in suits and ties and a fancy Easter dress! Of course kids have to put gobs of glitter glue on stuff! My dad ended up with it all over his good coat and I ended up with it on several of the suit jackets! I was NOT happy and she heard about it...over and over again!! So, no more glitter glue at church and I never see paint being used either...especially in my DD's class because she wears her fancy boutique outfits to church and they know that I would absolutely have a fit if she came home with one of those covered in paint!! So, they know if they want to do a messy project they need to call me ahead of time so I can wear regular clothes on DD!

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yikes! Whenever I've taught Sunday School it was crayons or colored pencils ONLY! I would never be able to return a child to their parents with their Sunday clothes with paint or glitter glue. It's a tough call because that stuff is fun. But I figure that kids only get dressed up like that once a week and it's not too much to ask to keep their nice clothes in good shape.

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've made the play-doh and gloop (we call it slime), that me&thegals posted, but I have also made this edible play-doh. Even my 11 & 13yo nieces played with/ate it, lol.

PEANUT BUTTER PLAY-DOH

2 c. peanut butter
2 c. powdered milk
1 c. honey, or corn syrup

Mix all together and have fun!

Latest posts