Homemade Polytunnels

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We're planning on building a poly tunnel for the garden so we can start a bit earlier with planting, etc. I'm looking for photos of homemade poly tunnels, I was considering making it like a gambrel roof or a triangle but I'd like to see what you guys have done first.

X posted at TheEasyGarden

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm wanting to do the same thing this year but also make it adaptable to shade screening for my lettuce, broccoli, etc. I was wanting to buy some PVC and make the hoops myself but still haven't worked out stability features, as I want to leave it in place all winter and keep succession plantings of cold-weather crops in it.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
:pop Awesome! I want to follow this thread, too. I use a lot of floating row covers, which are good for season extenders and pest repellants, but they get beat up pretty quickly.

The only poly tunnels I have seen were some type of plastic stretched over metal arches to create a semicircle tunnel.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I read about some in CS mag that used the pvc hoops, fitted over rebar pounded into the ground for anchors...but I don't have any rebar and am wracking my brain as to what to use for a substitute. It would have to be a structure that would withstand the high winds we get here.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I live in the nursery capital(plants)of the US. The polytunnels used in our nurseries are wire concrete mesh arched and covered with white plastic. The mesh is fairly large with 6" squares, here is a sample pic of it flat:
http://www.pizza-oven.co.uk/images/base mesh 1.jpg

and what the roll looks like:
http://bahmdemolition.com/images/ConcreteMesh.jpg

It's the same sturdy wire mesh that is used for building tomato cages and I pay $50 for a 50' roll. Wish I could find a pic for your application.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i have a roll of 6 mil poly hanging around and i was considering making a square frame for the ground and making either a series of triangles or series of gambrel style hoops ... lmao this is making no sense but TRUST ME it makes sense in my head...

i'll draw it at school tomorrow and upload for you.

it would be permanent by the way.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My DH and I got a huge section of chain link fencing, line post, corner posts, top rail & all. We used the fencing, but put it up with wooden fence posts.
Just last night, I was looking at the posts we had piled up (eyesore) and thought "Conduit bender!"

We're going to cut them to 10' sections (they are 20' long) bend them into arches, then pound the arches into the ground & cover with clear 6mil poly film. Thinking cable ties would work to hold the poly on. Voila!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
If your garden is fenced, why not just add a roof portion over it and wrap it all in plastic for the beginning of the year...That way, depending on ground temps you might not even need to transplant:>) That is what I have been considering, because my green house kind of got wrecked in this years snow/ice load.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
If your garden is fenced, why not just add a roof portion over it and wrap it all in plastic for the beginning of the year...That way, depending on ground temps you might not even need to transplant:>) That is what I have been considering, because my green house kind of got wrecked in this years snow/ice load.
:( our garden is huge, a bit big to cover in 6 mil LOL its 30x20ft now, and is doubling in size at the end of this season.

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
OOOOH, this is the link for me, my dh just suggested we cover our raised beds so we could start earlier and harvester later, this is right up my alley.