homemade popsicles

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been eating lots of popsicles lately, so as a way to save money, I bought a pack of popsicles molds. Bought some add-your-own sugar koolaid so that I could cut down on the sugar in them. But they just don't seem to have as much flavor as the store-bought ones. Do you guys have any suggestions for how to make a good popsicle?

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Mix it with a little less water, I also use Jello powder to make some, I haven't got the quantity right yet, you need to mix it with MORE liquid than asked for on the jello packet. I mix a 3oz packet of jello with a cup of hot water, a cup of cold water and then add fruit juice (2 cups)
THe jello helps to make the icepop like store bought and not the rock hard ice you get from plain fruit juice. My kids ate the ones I mixed as above, but some parts were more jello (I didn't mix it properly I guess or it settled) and they didn't like that much!

I posted on my blog about it a few weeks ago - I also made Mocha pops for ME!

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I make creamsicles for my son: fresh goat milk (thanks to our C.C.) with a little orange juice concentrate, undiluted. Yum!

He doesn't do well with chemicals, colors or preservatives. This was the best I could do.

Hmmm... he has suddenly developed a taste for pecan praline frozen yogurt ... wonder if I could do something there. Thanks for the ideas floating around in my head.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
You could try blending up fruit into an apple sauce texture and freeze or add yogurt and freeze.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We do plain real apple cider with berry puree mixed in, or home-made yogurt flavoured with jam or honey & vanilla etc.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The other day I liquified some leftover watermelon chunks in the blender and poured into molds. Everybody here liked it.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
We just do plain fruit juice in molds....grape juice is a favorite. I like the idea of using pureed fruit/juice blends though, I might try that.

garden pixy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I buy low fat 'Banilla' yogurt and scoop that into the pop molds, the kids LOVE them