homemade soap in homemade laundry soap recipe?

Cybercat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I found the fels naptha in with the bath soap, so I'd look there, since it is a bar soap and whoever decides where things should go on the shelves obviously doen't have a clue!
Wow...I'd think Fels Naptha would take your skin off in some locations used as a bath soap...:D Scarey thought there..... :ep

I DO remember using the Fels on our skin when we were kids with poison ivy---is it still promoted as a remedy for that, I wonder?

SheriM

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Freemotion, would you mind sharing the recipe you're using? I'm just curious because I make laundry soap using scraps of my homemade goats milk soap, borax and washing soda. I melt the soap, add the powders and stir it all up, then dilute with water to make a liquid soap. It tends to be a bit lumpy at times, but cleans very well, even in our hard water and I've never noticed any stinkies but if there's a chance there's still some bacterial growth going on, I'd really like to know!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
SheriM, I am using the one that calls for 1/2 c each of borax and washing soda and 1/3 bar fels naptha with two gallons of water (heating a few cups of water with the soap to melt it first, then adding to more warm water to make two gallons.)

I was disappointed in the results of my experiment, but the homemade soap version will still be fine for more lightly soiled laundry. Also, if you hang it in the bright sunshine, that is a powerful disinfectant. Because of allergies, I no longer hang things out, just rugs and hand washables.

Carolyn

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We use our own homemade goatsmilk soap with borax and oxiclean type cleaner--which is washing soda and washing soda/w hydrogen peroxide(considered to be ecologically safe). I have always used liquid, but don't mind the homemade dry. We measure out the grated dried soap. this takes out buck smell, washes diapers, grease, blood, etc out and we use a coffee scoop for the measure. But it is very finely ground with a food processor. I like the homemade goatsmilk soap in the laundry, natural and cleaning. We match the amount of goats milk soap to borax and then half the Oxiclean product. so if you have 8 oz of shredded, ground goatsmilk soap, 8oz of borax and 4 oz of Oxiclean type. We even ground the finished product to a fine powder---we have lots of customers that can't use any store bought clothes soap that love our soap and we have a hard time keeping up with it. We also have several ladies that buy our EO Simply Orange bar of soap for a stain stick, we are thinking about putting it into a tube. We sometimes use vinegar in the rinse cycle--but not every time. Carolyn

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Carolyn, what do you think goes wrong with my wash? Maybe it is the water here, too. I always use hot water in my laundry to help kill stuff, too. We are on city water.

I would prefer to use my homemade goat's milk soap, too. Maybe it is the oxyclean you add. Peroxide is a disinfectant. Hmmm...waddaya think?

Carolyn

Power Conserver
Reaction score
we have well water, high in sodium (we don't drink it). I don't know, but it works for us. Try a small batch with your goats milk soap and the Oxyclean--we use Sun. We grate, then dry and then pulse it in the food processor, add it to the other ingredients and pulse that again until fine. I just didn't want to mess with the liquid. We use the dry form of clothes soap. I just bought a HE washer and that is why we use a coffee scoop, but it works just fine. We are making a big batch of unscented tonite for people. Carolyn

ashylove

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
i use my castile in my laundry soap and it works great!!!! although, the recipie i use has 1/3 of soap, washing soda, and borax... but only a gallon of water. it is a bit stronger than the other recipies, but works just as good!!!

i have only been able to find washing soda online, same with borax. ill see if i can find the link.

sundance

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
the Kroger in our area sells both the fells napa and the washing soda, but can't find Zote anywhere, we have a large Latino population in Murfreesboro, but still can't find the Zote. But since I have to go to Krogers Fri for my ACV will check there again and also pick upa couple extra bars fels nappa. I also use FN in my closets, it makes them smell so clean. marrie