Homemade Tiki Torches

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I ran across an article that I cut out many years ago.
In 1993 after having a pond dug, I built a Tiki Juice bar by the pond.
It was built from maple saplings from my woods, had a reed grass roof from the swampy area, counter and stools. I bought tiki torches that needed refilling frequently.
I found this article on how to make torches, but they might have some use as an emergency exterior light.

I am making torches for our backyard parties next spring. I save the old oil from my crankcase after changing my oil and soak corn cobs in it. I usually just stick them in there for about a week and let them really soak it up. I asked my wife to save empty tomato paste cans. When I have a few, I drill a small hole in the bottom of each can and screw them to broomsticks. Then I stick the corn cobs into each can and I've got my torches.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Tiki bar:

515_tikibar.jpg

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How cool! I love your bar.

Crankcase oil, as in motor oil? I'd rather use a veggie oil, like the soybean stuff that is on sale for 2.99 a gallon. But cool idea!

I bet you could use the tiki oil too, and it make it last longer.

Back in highschool, we decorated for something or another using tuna cans.

We had all the parents wash & save tuna cans for a month or more, cleaned them very well & removed the label.

Then we spray painted them in metallic colors & added tea lights. We tucked the tuna cans into greenery and it ended up very nice looking. Tiny little dancing flames everywhere and no way for the wax to drip on anyone.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
OMG That s freaking awesome! LOL

I wonder if I have enough sticks to put one together before my June bookclub :D

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
How cool! I love your bar.

Crankcase oil, as in motor oil? I'd rather use a veggie oil, like the soybean stuff that is on sale for 2.99 a gallon. But cool idea!

I bet you could use the tiki oil too, and it make it last longer.

Back in highschool, we decorated for something or another using tuna cans.

We had all the parents wash & save tuna cans for a month or more, cleaned them very well & removed the label.

Then we spray painted them in metallic colors & added tea lights. We tucked the tuna cans into greenery and it ended up very nice looking. Tiny little dancing flames everywhere and no way for the wax to drip on anyone.
Yeah, the dirty motor oil wouldn't be the best choice for the air, but I'd try all types of used cooking oil; lots of people only use the oil for frying fish once and then toss it away. What a waste.

I was most fascinated with using corn cobs. I will be saving these this summer! I wonder how I could tamper with them for fire starters in the woodstove, hmmmm.