Homemade Traps in Fruit Trees?

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I knew a wonderful lady who made a solution of vinegar, sugar, and water which was put it in a plastic milk jug hanging in her apple trees. This concoction was to trap moth. Does anybody know the recipe for this?

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
No but I sure wish I had a recipe for something to get rid of tent worms. Darn things are eating all the leaves off my trees.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Here's one for Japanese beetles, but I've also seen it for other fruit pests.

Japanese Beetle Trap
*To make a Japanese beetle trap you'll need a gallon-size plastic jug, 1 quart of water, cup of sugar, 1 cup of mashed ripe fruit, 1 teaspoon of active dry yeast, a utility knife, a long-handled strainer or large slotted spoon, and a piece of rope or twine for hanging.

Procedure

Begin by rinsing out the plastic jug, and carefully cut a large opening in the top, but leave the handle intact. Next, combine the water, sugar, and mashed fruit and yeast, and mix them together thoroughly. Hang the trap from the limb of a tree about three feet off the ground, or hang it from a hook intended for a hanging flower basket. Before long you'll notice Japanese beetles floating in the liquid, but they won't be able to escape and will eventually drown.