Homemade Water Ionizer

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
How to Build
Your Own Water Ionizer!
Courtesy of eHow

You can build your own low-cost basic water ionizer to enjoy many of the benefits of expensive models. Fun and educational fr a great for a science fair project or just to learn more about water ionizers. Difficulty: Moderately Challenging.

Things You'll Need:

* Two 1-gallon plastic storage containers
* One 2-inch PVC pipe
* Electrical wire
* Piece of chamois slightly larger than PVC pipe
* 12V or 24V power adapter
* Two crocodile clips
* Two 0.5-inch by 0.75-inch pieces of titanium (stainless steel is acceptable) to use as electrodes

Step 1: Set up the 2 1-gallon plastic containers next to each other and cut a 2-inch hole on the side of each one so that they line up and face each other.

Step 2: Insert the piece of chamois into the PVC pipe so that it fills the entire diameter of the pipe, and insert the pipe into the 2 holes you cut out of the plastic containers.

Step 3: Attach the titanium electrodes to some electrical wire.

Step 4: Attach the alligator clips to the 12V or 24V power system and to the wire that is running to the titanium electrodes.
Step 5: Place a titanium electrode in each 1-gallon plastic container, and make sure the contact between the alligator clips and the wire running to the electrodes remain out of the water.

Step 6: Fill the containers with water from your faucet and turn on the power adapter. This initiates the ionizing process.

Step 7: Wait at least 2 hours and watch as the water separates into the 2 containers. The water in one container will turn brown and murky while the water in the other container will be clear and clean. Once the ionizing process is complete (up to 12 hours), the brown water is the acidized water and the clear water is the alkalinized water.

NOTES: A home-made ionizer takes much longer to ionize water than commercial systems since you use much smaller electrodes and less power. Commercial models ionize water instantly on demand.

Remember, this is moderately challenging project and exposes you to electrical current and water. Be careful and know exactly what you're doing before you build.

Thoughts?

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a regency II water ionizer for sale for $200. Since we are moving away from city water I won't be needing it. I paid $600. It works well. You have to purchase replacement filters for it about once a year.

http://www.biogro.us/regency.html

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Not trying denounce any pseudoscience because people will believe what they want plus the placebo effect has been shown to be quite effective. This is only a cautionary statement.

I do not know what they build the expensive commercial machines with but I would be concerned with using cheap plastic jugs with any kind of acid/alkaline liquid for the same reason why PVC is not allowed for any type of residential drinking pipe (except for drains) is that it will leach plasticizers and other chemicals into the water.

Though using glass jars would be difficult in your design, substituting cpvc for pvc would not be.

Just curious and have a few question -

What is the distance from the bottom of the jugs do you cut the holes?

Exactly how does the piece of chamois fit into the PVC pipe?

Are the electrodes always kept just above the water line?