Homemade weed killer

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you ever figure out a way to kill the quack grass let me know. I have horrible memories of digging and pulling it by hand. Then you have to toss the stuff in the trash because any bit grows.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I'd love to see a rent a goat/rent a duck program. There are even urban rent a chicken programs. However, "love to see" is said with tongue in cheek. B/C, IMHO, if one is not vested enough to take full ownership of the animal, as well as make all of the decisions that go along with accepting that responsibility, they have no business having the animal in the first place.
Not quite sure I understand.

My example uses the animals to perform a service. In my mind no different than renting a neighbors sire for impregnating your herd.

I am seeing dog shelters allowing folks to "check out" dogs for the day to get the pups out. It does the animals good and raises money for the shelter. And some people get to "try" before they "buy" and make a commitment.

Not everyone has the experience or wisdom to understand the full responsibility up front. Then the animal suffers. Imho

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Hey I got a field to clear, who you gonna call? 1-urent-a-goat :rolleyes:
What? Why not? Free market principles at work.

I don't see this as any different than selling eggs to someone without chickens. One person wants fresh eggs without having to care for chickens, and other is willing to fill the need.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I dig out the invasives. We got rid of all the scotchbroom. Have to get all the roots or it comes back. Nothing poisons them.

Not sure if I managed to get all the bindweed roots last year. I'll find out in a few months.

Blackberries are a constant problem and I've taken to just mowing them regularly to weaken the roots until they die. We'd have to rent a backhoe to dig them.

I do have a propane garden torch. That is great for fence lines.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@rodeogirl , have you tried overseeding your lawn? If you keep up with mowing at the right height to favor the grass, and overseed, you might be able to get a handle on the worst of the weed problem. we have lots of weeds here, but... for the most part, I ignore them. Do need to grub out some thistles.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I dig out the invasives. We got rid of all the scotchbroom. Have to get all the roots or it comes back. Nothing poisons them.

Not sure if I managed to get all the bindweed roots last year. I'll find out in a few months.

Blackberries are a constant problem and I've taken to just mowing them regularly to weaken the roots until they die. We'd have to rent a backhoe to dig them.

I do have a propane garden torch. That is great for fence lines.
Ugh bindweed. Nasty stuff

Latest posts