Homemade weed killer?

martinjj

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all, Im new to the board and was wondering if any of you have a safe home-grown weed killer. Has to be safe, I have two great Labs and 4 chickens. Thanks

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

Over on The Easy Garden (TEG) SufficientSelf's sister forum they say to use white vinegar and water however now I can't remember the ratios.

I'll try to search around and get back to you. :)

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've used straight white vinegar and 50/50. To me, the straight was more for hard to kill stuff. Be careful not to get any on plants you want though. Do not do it before any rain/snow as it will wash it off (duh). It can take a few applications for really stubborn plants.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
For a large area, darkness. Smother with old carpet topped with mulch or whatever, for at least 6 months of growing season (more is better).

For a small area not containing valuable plants, either dig the weeds out by hand, or make a big recipe of jelly or pickles or whatever, and afterwards pour the waterbath canner full o' boiling water onto that area. May need to treat a few times for very stubborn perennial-rooted weeds.

For individual weeds amongst "keeper" plants or lawn, best thing is to just dig the buggers out by hand. Honestly. May have to do a few times for deep perennial-rooted things, but eventually they will poop out. Alternatively you can spot-treat with boiling water or agricultural vinegar (7% pickling vinegar is ok, but higher-strength ag vinegar works better), although recognize that this will leave a small dead spot in your lawn and don't splash it on adjacent garden plants or their roots.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

martinjj

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=24872&p=1
Poke around here and see if anything applies to you. :)

I'm still looking for the natural "weed killer" recipe.
Thanks for the link! looks like I have yet another place to further my education. I also too use the Ruth Stout method in the garden. The weed control would be for the front and back yard. I thought about a salt water mix maybe add some vinger also?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Bleach kills plants. I used it in a 10% bleach solution in my dog kennel area. Never had a weed sprout through. It's good for big areas. And it "separates" into chlorine gas and water, so it's safe.