Homemakers- journal of wild domesticity-Demesne

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have no idea how I got here. I just finished hand washing a load of cloth diapers for the first time. A few years ago it would have totally grossed me out. I would have felt like a servant or slave. Now, it feels like some weird badge of honor. Funny...I know. Leaning there over my bathtub, wearing a pair of rubber gloves, and swishing around the unthinkable. I felt fulfilled.
Our deep sink in the basement is clogged....again. The washing machine drains into the sink and without it laundry is impossible. So far all attempts at fixing it have been in vain. We can manage with what clothes we have for awhile. But, my daughter is in diapers.
That left me with some things to consider: I could have bought disposable diapers, or gone to the laundry mat, or let her go wild and free. Or I could wash them by hand. So I did. A few years ago I would have bought the disposables and never thought another thing of it. I don't know when I changed but, now I see things differently. I didn't have to buy disposables, I didn't have to go pay for a machine at the laundrymat, and I didn't have to let my daughters butt hang out for the world to see. :) I am free.
I am new at this. Compared to the people of this forum I don't know jack. But, I am learning. And the more I learn the more I want to learn.

Not so long ago I know I was a different person. That is why I am starting this journal. Because, I have no idea how I got here. To this place where I feel so happy and content doing things for my family. Where I don't have to spend money, I just have to spend some time. Where I have more fun in my own backyard then I would on any far away beach. Where laundry doesn't chase away my joy. It's sort of wild you know? All of this domesticity.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:frow

I think many people find that badge of honor in doing for themselves. It is a good feeling!

Hang in there. Tons of ways to become more SS and feel good about it! :)

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My husband has been wondering the same thing about me for some time now. :lol: But what a fun journey! It does feel so good to keep learning new skills, tips, different ways to look at life.

Someone pass Homemaker her new badge. :D

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Welcome Homemaker.

Unlike you Iam glad I didn't come over to the SS side until my son was out to diapers,I just don't think handwashing is for me lol but, I applaud you for doing it.

There's lots to learn here,I took baby steps and now,we grown most of our own food,including all meats.We can,and freeze our own food stuffs. and have learned to redo, reuse and make do.

Enjoy your travels in SS

Just remember not to let overload get you down,find your groove and do what you can.:celebrate

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. You made me think of my starts and stops. Something about doing things for the family that makes us proud. I started out with cloth diapers on my son but he was allergic to of all things - cotton. So I had to buy disposables. At that time I was the oddball out. Disposables were not popular in those days. Most everyone had a diaper pail and most everyone washed out diapers. I felt like a bad mom so made up for it in trying to do more of other SS things. LOL

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome everyone. And I will gladly take that badge Marianne. :)

I started out with cloth diapers on my son but he was allergic to of all things - cotton. So I had to buy disposables. At that time I was the oddball out. Disposables were not popular in those days. Most everyone had a diaper pail and most everyone washed out diapers. I felt like a bad mom so made up for it in trying to do more of other SS things. LOL
Wow! I have never heard of a cotton allergy. That would make things difficult wouldn't it? I'm sorry you felt so bad about it. Isn't the saying: "You can only play with the cards you are dealt."

Unlike you Iam glad I didn't come over to the SS side until my son was out to diapers,I just don't think handwashing is for me lol but, I applaud you for doing it.
It wasn't bad really. I have one of those shower head attachements for my bathtub that hooks up to the bathtub faucet. I rinsed the poop off into a utility bin and then flushed that down the toilet. Then I just threw them in my bathtub when I was done taking a bath and let them soak for an hour or so before even messing with them. Then I added hot water with the detergent and aggitated them with GLOVED hands. Let out the water and used the shower head to rinse them real well. I dumped boiling water in the tub to sterilize it when I was done. Sorry if that is more then you wanted to know. I love cloth diapers. I tend to drone on about them at every chance I get.

Hang in there. Tons of ways to become more SS and feel good about it!
I am counting on it! :) I love this forum. I have been checking it out here and there throughout the past year. There is sooo much info though. It gets overwhelming at times.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think it is overwhelming for a lot of people that are new to the concept, much easier for those who grew up with it or were exposed to it before making it a lifestyle choice.

And we all started in different ways. I did the organic gardening thing for years before I even heard of a self sufficient movement, mostly because we were broke, but I always had a hunch that chemicals weren't the way to go. My focus was to grow food and not have to buy as much from the store.

Then we got a computer. One day I googled how to live cheaply, I think...wow. It took a while before I made my first batch of laundry soap. There's only so much beating up I'll take from friends and family, ya know? :lol: Some people just don't hang with anything different. But they all like to eat here!

What's your next step? I imagine you're pretty busy with baby.

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I liked your intro so much I read it three times. Welcome to the "wierd badge of honor" group. I too find all of this wildly liberating. And so with a deep bow, curtsey, whatever...I say - WELCOME.