Homeschooling... pros and cons

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Same here 4 hours. Some days we had to streeeeeeetch out P.E. and count it as classwork too. I usually didn't count P.E. in with the typical "school day" but sometimes found myself having to just because the kids were getting their work quicker. We went through a Christian school and used their curriculum since they were accredited, and DD got a real diploma. It wasn't that expensive.

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
well, i checked out some books from the library on homeschooling so ill see waht i can find out...

My sister started homeschooling last year and things are going really well for her and her kids. The one thing im concerned wtih is that is JUST my son. No one else. She has 2 kids, 11 and 8. So when they arent "in" school, they play with each other, keep each other busy, etc and my son will have no one really. My yonger son is just a year old!! So quite a while till he's old enough to really "play" together.

So, we had a BIG mistake the other day at school: My son unintentionally brought a knife to school!!! :( He and his dad were out hunting the past weekend and he had it in his jacket pocket and wears the same jacket to school and he was looking for his gloves and it dropped out of his pocket and a teacher saw it and reported him to the principle. Ya know it was one of those pliers, cork-screw, knife type things, not just a Knife. He doesnt understand what the big deal is, he has it at home all the time. So, because of school "policy" he got an inschool suspension and will be written up to the school superintendant because anyone caught with a knife at school is viewed as a threat. Even if it was unintentional and from a 10yr old who still sleeps with his Stuffed animals at night and wants Mommy to tuck him in too.
His principle said to me taht even tho he knows my son had NO intent to hurt anyone or didnt even remember it was there, it doesnt matter, policy is policy and if another parent found out about him bringing that to school and nothing was done, the school could get in alot of trouble. While i understand there policy, my son certainly didnt have it to hurt or scare anyone at school. He simply forgot it was even there and it was an accident that it was even AT school. Uhhhhh.... im so bummed, it wasnt the end of the world but he doesnt get why it was a big deal. Im just afraid that if for some reason it happens again(which i am praying that i made it PERFECTLY CLEAR that he CANT bring it to school again, intentional or not...) that he will get in BIG trouble next time with a suspension.

Hmmm.... Now, ill have to drop this BOMB on my hubby. He forsure will NOT want to even entertain the idea of me homeschooling. Im not even sure i want to yet, but if he says NO forsure, i dont even have to think about it more then. Thanks for the replies, its helping me ALOT with my decision....

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
rd200-

My hubby said NO! flat out when I suggested homeschooling. I did extensive research, laid out the facts (DS was having severe emotional issues/regression due to the passing of his brother, that would've made public schooling a total nightmare for DS and us), and offered a compromise: We would try it for one school year. At the end of that year, we would evaluate his progress and decide where to go from there. DH agreed. I felt a lot of the pressure was off me too: If it didn't work for either DS or me, we could quit. This last year, I seriously considered quitting, and it was DH who begged ME to reconsider! :lol:

DS is a 'single'. We haven't had any issues with him feeling lonely or not having playmates. We do our book & paper schooling early in the day, and he has 'free study' after lunch. He reads, watches documentaries or educational programming that is tied to his interest-of-the-moment, we go to the library, or he conducts experiments/graphs results. Usually, his friends get out of school and come over to play, and he has to 'interrupt' free study to play! On rare occasions, he has even asked them to come back later, so he can finish :celebrate